Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Create New Shortcut

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Cuessane

Cuessane

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:33 PM

I am unable to create a new shortcut on the desktop, or in any folder. When I click New -> Shortcut, nothing happens. The registry entry that determines whether you can create a new shortcut is intact (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.lnk\ShellNew), and I even ran the command from the 'Run' command to be sure that appwiz.cpl was still intact, and I did not need to run System File Checker.

I used the RUN: rundll32.exe appwiz.cpl,NewLinkHere %userprofile%\desktop\ command line, and the New Shortcut Wizard opens just fine when the command line is run. It first asks for the location of the item to create a shortcut for, then asks you to name the shortcut. When you click finish, nothing happens. The window stays open, and just does not do anything. Also, the Favorite Links usually listed on the left of a folder view have been removed, and even clicking and dragging items in does not create a new shortcut.

I have used every scan I could think of, but nothing is coming up with any problems, other than tracking cookies. The list includes SUPER AntiSpyWare, HiJackThis, Spybot S&D, RootkitBuster, CCleaner, MBAM, several online scans, as well as having Avast and Windows Defender running 24/7. I first believed this and another problem were caused by some type of virus or 'ware, but now I am beginning to believe this is just a registry error, rather than an infection of some kind, and would like to find the cause of the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Windows Vista Home Premium (32bit)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:39 AM

Can you right click on the program you are wanting to shortcut, select copy, right click your desktop and select Paste Shortcut?

Gavin Seabrook

#3 Cuessane

Cuessane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:47 AM

Yes, I am still able to paste a shortcut to the desktop. Just the New Shortcut option that is not working.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:45 PM

Try running SFC.EXE /SCANNOW from an elevated command prompt.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Cuessane

Cuessane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:54 PM

Had tried that before, tried it again, just to be sure. No integrity errors. This is really starting to bug me, I cant find anything that would point to what the problem is. The funny thing is, I can still paste a shortcut to the desktop manually with the copy and paste shortcut commands, and when installing a program, if I tell it to place a shortcut on the desktop during installation, it places it fine. It is just me as the user that cannot place one.

Anything else you can think of (other than a reinstall lol), please feel free to make suggestions.

Edited by Cuessane, 10 March 2009 - 09:55 PM.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:06 PM

Well, it seems to me that it can't be with explorer.exe - as it's one of the protected files that SFC.EXE checks.

I wonder what sort of changes you've made to your system - tweaks/modifications/security apps. That could be affecting the issue.
Also, it could be a problem with permissions in the registry (I've seen leftovers in the registry like this when removing malware). Here's a couple of links that may help:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blogs/usas...?showentry=1378
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blogs/usas...?showentry=1415

Just shooting from the hip here, but have you checked Event Viewer for errors in the Application (and maybe System) log file at the times that you try to create the shortcuts?

Can you...click on an icon, drag it away from it's original location, and then press the "Alt" key (before releasing) to make a new shortcut? Can you do this on your Desktop, in the root of the C: drive, and in the Public Desktop/folders? This may tell us if it's a permissions issue.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Cuessane

Cuessane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:01 PM

I wonder what sort of changes you've made to your system - tweaks/modifications/security apps. That could be affecting the issue.

Other than now having SpyBot S&D and Super AntiSpyware running permanently, I haven't modified anything to do with security that I know of.

Just shooting from the hip here, but have you checked Event Viewer for errors in the Application (and maybe System) log file at the times that you try to create the shortcuts?

Nothing coming up at the times I attempt to create the shortcuts.

Can you...click on an icon, drag it away from it's original location, and then press the "Alt" key (before releasing) to make a new shortcut? Can you do this on your Desktop, in the root of the C: drive, and in the Public Desktop/folders? This may tell us if it's a permissions issue.

I can do it to my desktop, but when attemtping to do it in the root of the C: and in the Public Desktop folder, it told me I couldnt place that here, and would I like to place a shortcut on my desktop.

#8 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:56 PM

This link should help you resolve the problem with your shortcuts. It's a 'file association' problem:
http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/105/...dows-Vista.html

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#9 Cuessane

Cuessane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 11:44 PM

I went to the first link usasma suggested, and went to this site: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm and got the LNK (Shortcut) file association fix. I attempted to run it, but when I try to run the file directly, or to import it using regedit in admin mode, it gives me the error: "Cannot import C:\Users\Public\Documents\Security Programs\linkfile_fix.eg: Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes." Doesn't seem to be a permissions problem, just a file in use problem. I tried in normal and safe mode, same result either way. I had all antivirus and security programs deactivated while attempting the fix.

Any suggestions as to how to close or stop whatever is using the files and stopping the fix from completing?

EDIT: Ok, I decided while I waited for more input to go to the link that Jacee provided, and got the LNK fix from there, ran it, and it seems to have fixed the problem. I can now create new shortcuts on the desktop, and my 'Favorite Links' seem to have returned to my folders.

Any ideas as to what could have caused the file association problems, and how to avoid it in the future?

Edited by Cuessane, 12 March 2009 - 12:06 AM.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:09 AM

Nice catch Jacee!

It seems that there's something using that registry key when you try things, and most likely you caught it at a time it wasn't being used.
It's not a permissions issue - because permissions would never have allowed it to happen (they're always "on").

What was using it is a mystery - but "Nothing succeeds like success!"
I'd suspect SpyBot, but I haven't used it in a couple of years and am unfamiliar with it's workings.
Glad you got it fixed!

Edited by usasma, 12 March 2009 - 09:09 AM.

#11 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:01 PM

Good to know and thanks for the feedback Cuessane :huh:

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#12 Cuessane

Cuessane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:11 PM

Thanks again for all the help folks! Glad it didnt turn out to be something more vicious, and a simple fix in the end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users