Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Create New Shortcut

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cuessane

Cuessane

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 07:48 PM

I am unable to create a new shortcut on the desktop, or in any folder. When I click New -> Shortcut, nothing happens. The registry entry that determines whether you can create a new shortcut is intact (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.lnk\ShellNew), and I even ran the command from the 'Run' command to be sure that appwiz.cpl was still intact, and I did not need to run System File Checker.

I used the RUN: rundll32.exe appwiz.cpl,NewLinkHere %userprofile%\desktop\ command line, and the New Shortcut Wizard opens just fine when the command line is run. It first asks for the location of the item to create a shortcut for, then asks you to name the shortcut. When you click finish, nothing happens. The window stays open, and just does not do anything. Also, the Favorite Links usually listed on the left of a folder view have been removed, and even clicking and dragging items in does not create a new shortcut.

I have used every scan I could think of, but nothing is coming up with any problems, other than tracking cookies. The list includes SUPER AntiSpyWare, HiJackThis, Spybot S&D, RootkitBuster, CCleaner, MBAM, several online scans, as well as having Avast and Windows Defender running 24/7.

Any help would be appreciated.

Windows Vista Home Premium (32bit)

Edited by Cuessane, 08 March 2009 - 07:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:15 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p;#entry1160165

You might post over in the Vista forum
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 Cuessane

Cuessane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:28 PM

Will do. And I solved the main problem in the other link, and felt that that post was no longer valid, as readers would have to read all the way to the final posts to find the current problem. Thus the new post, with a new topic, so as NOT to confuse the issue.

Thanks again.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:43 PM

You seem to have answered the question, Am I Infected?

That's why I suggested the Vista forum, there you will have access to other helpers who wouldn't see your post here.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 Cuessane

Cuessane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:14 PM

Indeed, I hadnt even thought of it until you suggested it =) I reposted over there, this and the other topic can be closed, or just ignored.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users