Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry cleaners

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chevyusa1

chevyusa1

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 08 June 2005 - 11:35 AM

I hope I'm posting this in the proper place. Are there any truly FREE registry cleaners/utilities out there? I can find some free ones but they are only free to download or do an online scan, I cannot find any that will actually clean up the errors without buying the software. Would be nice to find one that is TOTALLY free.
Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 08 June 2005 - 01:49 PM

I don't know your level of expertise, so please heed this warning:

If you aren't absolutely, positively, sure about what you are doing in the registry, STAY OUT!!!

"Fixing" something in the registry, that shouldn't be "fixed", is the quickest way there is, to turn your computer into a doorstop.

That being said (both free):
CCleaner
EasyCleaner
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2005 - 02:02 PM

TG1911 is absolutely correct to warn you about making changes to your registry, especially if you blindly trust what applications recommend. The relatively minor benefits to cleaning up your registry are far outweighed by the potential damange you can do your computer's functioning.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2005 - 02:16 PM

I'd like to add, that if you decide on CCleaner (which is a great program, BTW)
It is best to steer clear of the Applications and the Issues tabs/options.

Most importantly the Issues option, since it involves the registry.

Once again, this can not be stressed enough.

Unless you are completely confident, that you are sure of what you are doing, do not mess with your registry.

Another word of caution, when dealing with the registry, ALWAYS create a backup first!

Posted Image

#5 chevyusa1

chevyusa1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2005 - 01:52 AM

Thank you all for your input! I know the registry is a critical part of the OS and that I should be careful, I have also heard that a "dirty" registry can slow your computer down alot. I installed and uninstalled a few programs and I'm pretty sure that my registry needs those entries cleand. I don't have the time or will power to do it manually so that is why I want a "cleaner" program. I would only use it to delete invalid entries or errors of things that I'm sure are no longer on my system. Is that a good approach? Thanks all! :thumbsup:

#6 yogivarun

yogivarun

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 13 June 2005 - 01:29 PM

Hi,

Subject to all the warnings above - which cannot be stressed sufficiently - another good Registry Cleaner is RegSeeker from Hover Inc. The Home Site describes the current version 1.45 as below:

"RegSeeker is a perfect companion for your Windows registry !
RegSeeker includes a powerful registry cleaner and can display various informations like your startup entries, several histories (even index.dat files), installed applications and much more ! With RegSeeker you can search for any item inside your registry, export/delete the results, open them in the registry. RegSeeker also includes a tweaks panel to optimize your OS ! Now RegSeeker includes a file tool to search for duplicate files, bad shortcuts and more !

RegSeeker is FREE for personal use only !"

I have tried this on occasions and till date experienced no problems.

This is available here:
http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

Hope this helps.

Whatever Life takes away from you, let it go.

When you surrender and let go of the past,

you allow yourself to live in the moment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users