Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

nasty backdoor trojan/virus problem!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lolothemojo

lolothemojo

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 06:34 PM

okay, some background: i was infected with some trojans about a week ago. i cleaned them all up with mbam and i thought everything was good. then a few days ago things started getting bad. my computer would freeze up and i would have to do cold shut downs/restarts to retain functionality. an online kaspersky scan detected a backdoor trojan, and mbam detected a bunch of vundo trojans. i downloaded kaspersky internet security 2009 and it proceeded to delete 4 trojans and 1 virus. currently, neither mbam or SAS are detecting much except a few adware/tracking cookies here and there. i have no internet connection (i am on a different computer right now). i can, however, get connection thru safe mode w/ networking. can someone help me? i am almost at the point of reformatting. i don't know what else to do! thanks in advance.

i am running windows xp sp2.

Edited by lolothemojo, 08 March 2009 - 06:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 07:52 PM

I feel it important to post this first.

One or more of the identified infections is a backdoor trojan.

This allows hackers to remotely control your computer, steal critical system information and download and execute files.

I would counsel you to disconnect this PC from the Internet immediately. If you do any banking or other financial transactions on the PC or if it should contain any other sensitive information, please get to a known clean computer and change all passwords where applicable, and it would be wise to contact those same financial institutions to apprise them of your situation.

Though the trojan has been identified and can be killed, because of it's backdoor functionality, your PC is very likely compromised and there is no way to be sure your computer can ever again be trusted. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of trojan, the best course of action would be a reformat and reinstall of the OS. Please read these for more information:

How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?
When Should I Format, How Should I Reinstall

We can still clean this machine but I can't guarantee that it will be 100% secure afterwards. Let me know what you decide to do.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 lolothemojo

lolothemojo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 07:54 PM

i would like to clean the machine. i don't do any online banking and i have no important information on this computer. thank you.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:55 PM

Ok let's first try to get the connection back.
Is this an XP PC?

Go to Start ... Run and type in cmd
A dos Window will appear.
Type in the dos window: netsh winsock reset
Click on the enter key.

Reboot your system to complete the process.

If it works or not try to run SDFix next as it runs in safe mode.

Please print out and follow these instructions: "How to use SDFix". <- This program is for Windows 2000/XP ONLY.
When using this tool, you must use the Administrator's account or an account with "Administrative rights"
  • Disconnect from the Internet and temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any real time protection programs before performing a scan.
  • When done, the SDFix report log will open in notepad and automatically be saved in the SDFix folder as Report.txt.
  • If SDFix is unable to run after rebooting from Safe Mode, run SDFix in either Mode, and type F, then press Enter for it to finish the final stage and produce the report.
  • Please copy and paste the contents of Report.txt in your next reply.
  • Be sure to renable you anti-virus and and other security programs before connecting to the Internet.
-- If the computer has been infected with the VirusAlert! malware warning from the clock and the Start Menu icons or drives are not visible, open the SDFix folder, right-click on either the XP_VirusAlert_Repair.inf or W2K VirusAlert_Repair.inf (depending on your version of Windows) and select Install from the Context menu. Then reboot to apply the changes.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 lolothemojo

lolothemojo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:08 PM

yes, i am running xp sp2.
still no connection :thumbsup:
the SDFix came up clean. i cannot post a log, as i am on a different computer.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:11 PM

We need to run HJT. This is the only way we'll get this.

Please follow this guide. go and do steps 6 and 7 ,, Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Hijackthis. Then go here HijackThis Logs and Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal ,click New Topic,give it a relevant Title and post that complete log.

Let me know if it went OK.

#7 lolothemojo

lolothemojo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:58 PM

alright, i'll do that and be right back.

i also tried to run my system restore disk, and i got this:
file \i386\system32\biosinfo.inf could not be loaded.
The error code is 18

what happened? it won't let me reformat :thumbsup:

Edited by lolothemojo, 08 March 2009 - 10:00 PM.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:14 PM

Let's try not to do anuything more than get the HJT and /or DSS log. Your system is not stable. Unless you wish to just do a full wipe and reinstall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users