Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I install these updates?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JJ2K

JJ2K

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 06:15 PM

OK I have installed everything from the Microsoft Updates site apart from these 4 optional items, do you think I should install them:

- Update for Windows XP (KB959772)
Date last published: 2/24/2009
Download size: 5.5 MB

Install this update to enable Windows Media Player to automatically correct an error which may occur when DRM protected content requires an update to the license. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

- Update for Root Certificates
Date last published: 2/24/2009
Download size: 295 KB

This item updates the list of root certificates on your computer to the list that is accepted by Microsoft as part of the Microsoft Root Certificate Program. Adding additional root certificates to your computer enables you to use Extended Validation (EV) certificates in Internet Explorer 7, a greater range of security enhanced Web browsing, encrypted e-mail, and security enhanced code delivery. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.

- Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86
Date last published: 1/27/2009
Download size: 248.4 MB

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 is a full cumulative update that contains many new features building incrementally upon .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, and includes cumulative servicing updates to the .NET Framework 2.0 and .NET Framework 3.0 subcomponents. The .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update provides important application compatibility updates.

- Microsoft Silverlight (KB960353)
Date last published: 2/25/2009
Download size: 4.7 MB

Microsoft Silverlight is a lightweight browser plug-in for Internet Explorer and Firefox that blends animation, audio/video, and interactivity to deliver richer Web site experiences.

Opinions? From reading the descriptions, i'm still pretty clueless on what they do, apart from the last item which i'm not going to install.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:36 AM

I would install everything but SilverLight.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:20 AM

Yes to the first two. yes to the third if you already have .NET installed. Silverlight is Microsoft's attempt to compete with Adobe Flash and its usefulness is limited at this time. You won't need it unless a website asks for it specifically. For example, I know Netflix uses Silverlight but it isn't widespread yet and it may never get that far.

#4 Luser

Luser

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:23 AM

- Update for Windows XP (KB959772)

yes

- Update for Root Certificates

Windows normaly updates Root Certificates when needed , the update are only there if this function is turned off or not working..
So if you have turned off auto download of Root Certificates then its wise to download other wise not needed.

- Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86

its an update ofc you should install it :D

- Microsoft Silverlight (KB960353)

Microsofts idea of flash . can be good to install as most new Microsoft pages require it.
Dont want to have problems with your computer?
Solution : install a good free anti virus, anti spyware & and stay away from misleading applications. Update your OS and vital programs as often as you can, to shut down those open security holes.
Stay away from shareware and trailware applications, avoid installing browser addins and toolbars. Read up on things before trying new applications.

Learn more about : Viruses, malmware & trojans | Need a bootdisk? | Want to know what that EventID mean? | Cybercrimes what is that?

#5 HamSandwich

HamSandwich

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:46 AM

Is .NET 3.5 much different than 2.0 or 3.0? I have both 2.0 and 3.0 but don't feel like downloading the 250mb worth of program when I don't use it, as far as I know. I used to have a few programs that took advantage of it, but not anymore. And it doesn't appear to be any sort of security update, just "a full cumulative update that contains many new features building incrementally upon." For me, "upon" simply means more space taken up on the hdd with "features" which I apparently "need". Anyone have any further information on this?

To JJ2K:
The other updates I'd recommend downloading and installing. Silverlight I would not recommend simply because--as the other responders have stated--it isn't widely used and is currently limited. No need for such space wasters on the hdd. :thumbsup:

#6 JJ2K

JJ2K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:01 PM

Thanks,

I've installed the first 3 and left Microsoft Silverlight. If I ever need it I can always install it on demand.

Lucer: These updates appeared in the software (optional) category, and were not high-priority updates. I have automatic updates turned on, and I haven't " turned off auto download of Root Certificates" as i'm not sure where this feature is so it would be at the default.
What baffles me is if these root certificates are enhancing my security (according to description), why aren't they installed as high-priority?

HamSandwich: I too would like to understand what the ".NET Framework" update does. I'm not familiar with it but it took a while to dload/install.So i'm hoping i've installed something useful here and not just added clutter to the HDD (especially since i'm trying to keep it clutter free)! Any clarification on this would be great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users