Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphic card, motherboard and processor choice

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 plaistowe

plaistowe

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:46 PM

Hi everyone,

am designing with help a gaming computer. Would appreciate advice on three of the main components, graphic card, motherboard and processor.

Firstly I dont know which is better the SAPPHIRE ATI HD4870 1GB TOXIC or the BFG NVIDIA 260GTX OC2 896MB. both look good with little difference in price. I am veering towards the 4870 on performance, but I do like Nvidea.

I would like to put one of these wth one of the two following setups.

1.Processor CORE2QUAD Q9550, with motherboard ASUS P5Q-E ( or the equivalent that takes the Nvidea graphic card)

2.Intel core i7 920, with M/Board Asus intel X58 SK1366 DDR3.P6T SE ( I would also have DDR3 Ram)

Would Appreciate opinions or ideas with thanks,Plaistowe

Edited by plaistowe, 08 March 2009 - 02:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 03:29 PM

Those graphics cards are really neck and neck. Whichever one you choose probably won't be a big deal. You may want to do some research though, and see if the features each one provide are good for you.

I'd say go for the Corei7. Some people may not like this decision saying it's a waste of money, but your computer will be more future proof. In a couple years, you may want a new processor. If you go with the older socket, you would end up having to buy a new motherboard and ram anyway. might as well do it now, even though it may cost more. This will also reduce the hassle of having to reinstall your OS and programs when switching to a new motherboard. Anyway, the Corei7's are the best processor's out, especially if you decide to overclock.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 06:51 PM

Performance wise, the two GPU's are roughly the same. However, the 4870 consumes more power and is hotter than the 260. It's really a toss up depending on your motherboard and whether or not you want to SLI or Crossfire. The LGA775 socket, which is what the Core 2 CPU's use, will be around for a little while longer. At least until Intel launches a more budget friendly i7. You should get the most recent socket to keep all future upgrading avenues open. The current sockets are socket AM3 for AMD and LGA1366 for Intel. As Sterling pointed out, you will be paying significantly more for an i7 when compared to a Core 2 LGA775 board. You could go for an AM3 board, but there are very limited choices, for now, since it was released only last month.

3939.png

#4 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 07:03 PM

Both GPU's are very neck to neck..

However, as for your Processors, may I add that you can get a AMD Phenom Black Edition? They are probably some what good, and efficient in price as well.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 07:23 PM

The Phenom II line of AMD processors, especially the 940, is of excellent value and should be considered. However, they don't hold up well against the i7. But then again, they were never intended to go up against an i7.

3939.png

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:59 PM

between those two CPUs, if I had the money Id go i7, but personally id veer AMD as well. as far as the video cards, the saphire card should outperform the 260. the 260 is nvidias mid range card, while the 4870 is atis high end. both very good cards, but I think the 4870 will outperform the 260 with a fair amount of ease. Im not dissing nvidia by any means, but the 260 is a mid range card. . .not really designed to compete with the 4870.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:03 AM

Performance of the 4870 is, in the reviews I've read, largely under that of the 260. The 260 will outperform the 4870 in most cases. It also runs cooler and with less energy. The two cards have different core designs and efficiencies, with the exception of the X2 line of HD 4xxx, the 4-series is hit hard by the GTX 200 series. Nevertheless, there are instances where a 260 can come up short.

ASUS GTX 260 55nm & 4870 Dark Knight 1GB
XFX GeForce GTX 260 Black Edition
Galaxy GeForce GTX 260+ Overclocked Version

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users