Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What kind of Graphics card do i need?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 branden865

branden865

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:23 PM

I have a Toshiba Satellite L35-S2161 Laptop...i want to upgrade my graphics card and i have no idea what i can buy for it or anything..i have found ALOT of graphics card upgrades on ebay for really cheap but still dont know what would work in mine, so if sumone could help me out id REALLY appreciate it!

The graphics card or w.e i have right now is...
ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M Series

Edited by boopme, 08 March 2009 - 02:39 PM.
Moved from XP to more apprpriate forum...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:55 PM

Sorry to say it, but it's nearly impossible to upgrade the graphics card in a laptop. They are usually specially made for a specific laptop, and sometimes built into the laptop. The graphics cards you saw were probably made for desktops. If you are into games, a desktop computer is cheaper and better. They are also better to upgrade.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 03:18 PM

200M is integrated. No upgrade for that one.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,759 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:33 AM

the 200m is a decent card for a laptop though, its integrated, but if its like the one on my laptop it has its own dedicated memory, it doesnt share the regular memory, which gives it a performance boost from other integrated chips, which is a nice feature. If you really want to upgrade the laptop see if u can upgrade the ram a bit. sometimes, with a ram upgrade you can still run some newer games with an older card, but not all the time you never know, but with that laptop about the only thing you might be able to upgrade is the memory.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 DA8686

DA8686

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:36 PM

I upgraded my graphics card on an old pentium 3 laptop and it was NOT easy. I would not recommend doing it at all. It was expensive, it required me to take most of the laptop a part, and it didn't provide much of a performance upgrade. However, if you can find a better card, it is doable.

#6 Guest_tylerisdabest_*

Guest_tylerisdabest_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:39 PM

on a normal computer graphics cards are easy to install. but that’s WAY different on a laptop.

Edited by tylerisdabest, 09 March 2009 - 02:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users