Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PSU will not standby

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Caspersim

Caspersim

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:09 PM

As of last night Vista will shut down fine but the PSU will not. Everything else powers down, or goes into standby (monitor), but the PSU keeps power going to my lights and fans untill I use the switch on the PSU itself to turn off.
The PSU is about 2 years old with a fairly heavy work load so I imagine it needs replacing, but the one thing I wasn`t to sure about was running the PC with this PSU untill I buy a new one, am I running a risk of frying my PC: Or is there a master reset on a PSU unit:

Thanks, Caspersim

Asus P5B
e6600 oc`ed 3.1 ghz
8800 gts
3xHDD
2xDVD
550W PSU

-This damn laptop is in some bloody function that I cant make question marks at the moment :thumbsup:
"History records that the money changers have used every form of abuse,
intrigue, deceit, and violent means possible to maintain their control over
governments by controlling the money and its issuance."

~ 4th US President James Madison

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:53 PM

How much time are you letting it power down? I know after my computer turns off, and the hard drive stop spinning, my lights and fans stay on for another little bit of time. Just wait a minute or two, and see if they turn off.

You may want to go through and check your connections from the power supply to the motherboard also, and the little connections from the case to the motherboard.

I think you would be alright still using the power supply. The only way I see it hurting your computer is if it shorted out all of a sudden while using it, and that still wouldn't necessarily hurt your computer.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 Caspersim

Caspersim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 03:24 PM

Thank you for your reply, but I figured it out. The PSU no longer works :thumbsup: and it smells kinda funky. So It was, or now is, a dead PSU.

Thanks though.
"History records that the money changers have used every form of abuse,
intrigue, deceit, and violent means possible to maintain their control over
governments by controlling the money and its issuance."

~ 4th US President James Madison

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users