Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No taskbar, No destop! Help please!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 funth

funth

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 08 June 2005 - 09:48 AM

i have exactly the same issue on a friends machine i am trying to restore.

it would appear removal of the virus has in fact somehow stopped the machine loading explorer at all.

all other execute files work if i load them through the command prompt, except for c:\windows\explorer.exe which it claims it cannot find.

even though it is there if i browse to the folder.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 08 June 2005 - 10:42 AM

Moved from HijackThis logs and Analysis..

Hello funth and welcome to BleepingComputer. Please do not piggy-back on someone elses thread in the HijackThis logs and Analysis board. It just leads to confusion.

There is some malware that, if removed improperly, will leave you without a desktop or access to Internet Explorer. We can try one thing here, but if it isn't successfull you will want to follow the instructions here and post a log to your own thread.

On a functioning machine:

Open Notepad, (Start button, click on Run, type in Notepad, and click OK) copy & pastes the following block of text into Notepad.

REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\explorer.exe]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\iexplore.exe]

Click on 'File', then 'Save as'
Select 'Save as type:' as All Files,
Save the file to the desktop as fix.reg. Close Notepad.

Copy the .reg file to a floppy.

On the affected machine..

Boot into Safe mode and run fix.reg. When it asks if you want to add info to the registry, answer YES. Reboot normally and see if things are better.

Edited by ddeerrff, 08 June 2005 - 10:43 AM.

Derfram
~~~~~~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users