Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issue with new HD at bootup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jetski20

jetski20

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:15 PM

Hello everyone, l'm a new user with a bootup problem l hope someone can help me with. I have recently installed a new hard drive on my computer. The hard drive works fine and is accessable; however every time l boot up the computer I get the following message before the computer starts up:

The following configuration options were automatically updated:
Disk: 1.50TB ####SERIAL
Disk: 40.0 GB Samsung##SERIAL
If you are running Unix, you need to configure your system using the Computer Setup Utility (F10).

HP Compaq dc7100 SFF(PP415US)
F1: Save Changes

If l press F1 it says the changes were saved and boots up, but the next time l reboot the computer l have to go through this again. is there a quick and easy way to fix this?

Here is a screen capture of what l see when l boot up my computer:
http://tinyurl.com/b954d8

Thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:34 PM

Welcome to bleepingcomputer!

What operating systems do you have installed,and what hard drive are they on?

What happens if at that screen, you hit f10?

In your BIOS, what is your boot sequence set as? If you're only running one operating system, have the hard drive that it is installed on set as the first device.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 jetski20

jetski20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 03:33 PM

Hello Sterling14,

Thank you for your warm welcome and offering to help.
If l press F10 l go into a menu (l guess it's the bios menu?). I've tried just a quick SAVE AND EXIT, and but this doesn't fix the problem.

But on the heals of what you said l've dug around a bit and noticed that the computer thinks the 1.5TB HD is the primary - but it shouldn't be. I've just switched the boot order and tried agian but l get the same thing. THe screen actually comes up twice each boot.

The first time it's just got the 40GB HD... after l press F1 then the screen comes back up with both HD's....

Any ideas?

The PC is Running windows XP Pro and the OS is installed on the 40GB HD.

Regards,

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:40 PM

Are these IDE (also referred to as ATA or PATA) hard drives? If they are, there should be a jumper on each one on the back of the drive. Make sure the 40gb has the jumper set on the Master position, and the 1.5tb one is set as Slave.

If they are SATA, make sure the 40gb is plugged into the first Sata port on the motherboard (it may be labeled as 0, or 1). If you can't find which one is, you could always switch the position the cords are plugged in now.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users