Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Configuring Spyware Terminator

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Billermo

Billermo

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 11:53 AM

Based on recommendations here, I just downloaded this program to replace some old ones I decided to put out to pasture finally (Spybot, AdAware).

Now in this Terminator program, there are a lot of choices to make when setting it up. I'm currently running Eset's Smart Security (which does include anti-spyware protection and also firewall along with NOD32 anti-virus), so conflict (or overkill) with that program is a concern.

First, there is the Real Time Protection -- I enabled all the different Shields, as well as set the HIPS to High level. Not sure what all this does exactly.

I noticed when installing some other programs that this Real Time protection would give me popups asking for confirmation, which seemed to be duplicating what the firewall does -- is it just performing firewall-type duties or is it something very different?

Then there is the Web Security Guard, which I haven't turned on yet.

The last main feature I'm unsure about, and haven't turned on, is the Immunize. I used to use a similar feature in Spybot, which is now off my machine.

I want to try to avoid duplicating things that Eset's software is already doing (the anti-virus/anti-spyware and the firewall) and not slow things down for no good reason.

Any tips appreciated...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FiOS Dan

FiOS Dan

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:38 PM

I will preface these remarks by saying Billermo that you can always just run the config as you have it and see what happens. That said....
  • I would disable the AS segment in ESS to avoid any potential conflicts with ST.
  • I have my HIPS set to low rather than have popups about items that are above my pay grade.
  • I also have not installed the Web Security Guard so it will be interesting to hear your impressions of it.
  • You can put ST into "Install Mode" to avoid popups when you are installing software. It is not the same warning as you get from a FW.
  • I am up to date with 5,679 immunized items and I recommend that you do the same.

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway.

#3 Billermo

Billermo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:57 AM

I will preface these remarks by saying Billermo that you can always just run the config as you have it and see what happens. That said....

• I would disable the AS segment in ESS to avoid any potential conflicts with ST.
  • I have my HIPS set to low rather than have popups about items that are above my pay grade.
  • I also have not installed the Web Security Guard so it will be interesting to hear your impressions of it.
  • You can put ST into "Install Mode" to avoid popups when you are installing software. It is not the same warning as you get from a FW.
  • I am up to date with 5,679 immunized items and I recommend that you do the same.

OK, I don't see any way to turn off the AS in ESS without shutting off the AV along with it. So that's a no go. I reset my HIPS to low. Not sure what you mean by pay grade exactly, unless you mean it's over your head. (???) I see Web Security Guard is another service altogether that needs to be downloaded separately, that some users have warned against doing. As you can see I'm not digging too deep on these things -- I consider it backup to my ESS, so I just want to get it to a point of 'typical user' security. Oh and yes I have immunized, actually changed my mind and decided to go ahead and do that even before you replied. And my items are also 5,679.

Thanks. If anyone else has some know-how on this front, would be interested to hear. Thanks again.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,047 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:10 AM

About Spyware Terminator Help
Spyware Terminator FAQs
Web Security Guard Features

-- Web Security Guard is included in the download but not required. After installation you will be prompted to Enable Web Security Guard Toolbar. This browser add-on (similar to Site Advisor) is enabled by default so be sure to uncheck the box if you do not want it installed. If you install WSG by mistake, it can easily be removed later via Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.

-- If you already have an anti-virus application, there is no need to install the optional Clam AntiVirus integration. ClamAV does not have a real time scanning engine but you can integrate it into ST's Realtime Shield to include virus scanning support.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users