Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mother Board

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 DaveyCS

DaveyCS

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 11:13 AM

Sirs: First post. I need a program, or place to tell me what motherboard I have. I was putting in light scribe last night. I pulled three sets of wires loose.All come from front panel of computer. Bottom left in front,as you face computer from front. there are about seven or eight post. Any body know where I can get info on MB or wiring Diagrams? I just don't want to mess it up. :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:
Thank You
"Thank You Very Much".........

Davey Crockett Sr

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 11:32 AM

Hi dcsbase

Download CPU-Z here http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
It will identify your motherboad as well as the type of memory and CPU you have.
It's free as well although you can make donations if you wish. Once you have identified your motherboard, you shoild be able to download its manual from the manufacturers website. :thumbsup:

Edited by SLIX, 08 March 2009 - 11:34 AM.

Steve

#3 DaveyCS

DaveyCS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 03:37 PM

I appreciate that program. I was trying to think of it! It should do the trick, I hope? I'll be back later for some more information. How do you get it to take a snap shot of screen? So I can show it.
:trumpet: :inlove: :thumbsup: :flowers:

Thank You Again

Davey Crockett Sr

#4 DaveyCS

DaveyCS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:31 PM

OK Here is what CPU-Z had, on mother board .... Model T3985, Chip set Intel, = i865p?PE/G/i848P, South Bridge Intel = 82801EB (ICH5), LPCIO = SMSC, REV. = A2.
BIOS, Brand = Intel Corp., Version = BF86510A.15A.0085.P20.0412152353.
Date 12/15/2004.

I guess I need to contact Intel now! Unles some one knows these things. :thumbsup: :trumpet: :inlove: :flowers:
Thank You David C Sr

Davey Crockett Sr

#5 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:39 AM

Hi dcsbass

I searched online and found the manual for your PC here http://downloads.emachines.com/userguides/...s_HW_ref_en.pdf
Unfortunately they don't give the pin-outs for the motherboard. However all is not lost. Have a look at the pins on the motherboard where the wires came from. The pins are usually marked although you may need a magnifying glass to do this. The pins should be marked PWR, HDD, Reset etc.
I'm guessing, but on the front panel the wires will go to the power switch, hard disk activity and a power LED or reset switch. It is relatively straight forward matching up the wires to the motherboard pins. If you are not happy about doing this and are able to identify the motherboard pins and wiring to the front panel, post the info back here and I'll have a look at it for you.
Steve

#6 DaveyCS

DaveyCS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:47 PM

SLIX, Thank You for looking that up. I noticed that it had three sets of wires when I pulled them loose. By accident!!!
They are marked as follows : BLK/White ---- PWR SWITCH
BLUE/WHITE----PWR LED
RED/WHITE----- HDD LED

I did find a place on board that showed where they go? Pin location. Like BLK/White --2/3.. (example). The only thing I couldn't find is pins. They are not numbered... Where the wires come from say front panel. The box also says front panel. Now I need to figure out, how the pins are arranged. There is nine pins also! I only pulled three sets? I looked to see if there was any floating around. zero ! Problem or not?
I also fond these #'s on Motherboard. Intel D865GVHZ. under this in real mall letters is LB6FI or 1. Not Sure?
Also was the following : C R(R was reversed) U US E2108820(With a check mark in it) N232

On Stick on Paper was the following : (GW) 152923509BS03672
TGHZ 50903669-AA-C92991-101 I hope you can find some info on this, or tell me where to look.
I do Appreciate it Very Much :flowers: :thumbsup: :trumpet: :inlove:

Thanks Again David C Sr

Davey Crockett Sr

#7 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:12 PM

Since all appear to be front panel connectors you're not in too bad of shape.

I have hooked up the front panel connectors on a lot of motherboards without knowing the "pin out" .

Locate the front panel connectirs on the motherboar .
Start with the BLK/White ---- PWR SWITCH
Put the connector on 2 of the pins & press the power button
Keep doing that until the computer comes on.
when it comes on you have it in the right place.

Turn it off [DON'T make ANY connections with it on !
Always turn the computer off when plugging in or unplugging a connection]

Take the BLUE/WHITE----PWR LED & repeat the above.
When the power light comes on you have [of course] found the right pins for it.

Repeat with the RED/WHITE----- HDD LED
You may not see the HD LED until Woindows starts.

I have NEVER damaged a motherboard doing this.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#8 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:16 PM

.... So this is more then just an easy fix... Firstly the wires you pulled are for the power switch, power led, and hdd led (as described on the jumper)... 9 times out of 10, they each contain two wires, a negative and a positive... Normally the Negative is the one with white... On the section of the board that contains the pins those jumpers connect too, should have a small diagram underneath or even a text legend saying which one is which, it should also on one of the sides, say which row is negative and which row is positive... Then you plug them in, in order...

Also a good rule of thumb, power is normally going to be either on the end, or one before the end... power led usually will follow right behind, and so forth with the hdd led (not all the time, just as I have seen most older boards that is how they are..)

Edited by burn1337, 09 March 2009 - 11:19 PM.

#9 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:30 AM

Hi dcsbass

I did find a place on board that showed where they go? Pin location. Like BLK/White --2/3.. (example). The only thing I couldn't find is pins.

Usually all the pins are grouped together. There should be a speaker inside your PC case (its the one that sounds when your PC is first switched on) and its wiring usually goes on the same group of pins as the front panel wiring. If you can locate the speaker, trace the wires back from it and you will find the group of pins you need.
Steve

#10 DaveyCS

DaveyCS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:01 AM

Hi dcsbass

I did find a place on board that showed where they go? Pin location. Like BLK/White --2/3.. (example). The only thing I couldn't find is pins.

Usually all the pins are grouped together. There should be a speaker inside your PC case (its the one that sounds when your PC is first switched on) and its wiring usually goes on the same group of pins as the front panel wiring. If you can locate the speaker, trace the wires back from it and you will find the group of pins you need.

They are no speaker wires! Just the ones that came loose. .I've looked for other leads.
ThankYou

Davey Crockett Sr

#11 DaveyCS

DaveyCS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:38 AM

Burn 1337 & SLIX : Thanks for information. First I didn't know that each side of connectors were + or -. I found a little arrow on each connector. I assume this is +. I hope ????? I had the little diagram all the time . I just didn't know what was # 1 or any thing. I finally found a pin with a 2 pointing at it. Also A 9 pointing at that pin. I don't have a reset. But it shows it on little diagram, Will work on that latter. I've been looking ever time I go inside case. no luck!!! Cross your figures for me. It started right up!!! Now if rest work we are in good shape.
:thumbsup: :inlove: :flowers: :trumpet:

Thanks Again David C Sr

Davey Crockett Sr

#12 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:55 AM

OK
I think you are home and dry.

I don't have a reset. But it shows it on little diagram, Will work on that latter.

Although the motherboard may have a reset connection, if your front panel does not then just leave things as they are.
You say you have already sorted that out the power switch which is good. With regard to the HDD and Power LED's, don't worry if they are reversed. If they are, the only problem you will have is that they won't come on. This will not cause any damage. In this case just reverse them and all will be ok.
Steve

#13 DaveyCS

DaveyCS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 05:50 PM

SLIX : YEA!!!!!! It worked right. Everthing.... My reset has always been my power button, any way.
:inlove: :flowers: :cool: :trumpet: :thumbsup:
THANKS TO ALL FOR HELP
David C Sr

Davey Crockett Sr

#14 DaveyCS

DaveyCS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •