Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Resolution Reseting At Start up.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 skny13

skny13

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:51 AM

Hi Everyone,

I just installed a new wide screen monitor and I'm having trouble with the resolution on one of the computers.

I run two computers with one monitor, one of them I have the resolution set at 1024x768 and the other computer at 1440x900. I tried to find a video driver update for the one running at 1024x768, but could not find one to be able to run it at 1440x900. So it is set at 4:3 viewing which is fine, as I don't care to much about that one.

Now, the main computer that is running the 1440x900, I did do a driver update to the onboard Intel chipset, and was able to get the proper resoulution. The problem is, when I shut down the computer for the night and restart it the next day, the resolution has reset itself back to a 1280x1024 setting, and my desktop Icons are all rearranged.

I have installed and uninstalled the driver that came with the monitor with no luck on that end. So as I stand now, I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:30 PM

What are you using for Graphics adapters?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 11:08 PM

Hi Everyone,

I just installed a new wide screen monitor and I'm having trouble with the resolution on one of the computers.

I run two computers with one monitor, one of them I have the resolution set at 1024x768 and the other computer at 1440x900. I tried to find a video driver update for the one running at 1024x768, but could not find one to be able to run it at 1440x900. So it is set at 4:3 viewing which is fine, as I don't care to much about that one.

Now, the main computer that is running the 1440x900, I did do a driver update to the onboard Intel chipset, and was able to get the proper resoulution. The problem is, when I shut down the computer for the night and restart it the next day, the resolution has reset itself back to a 1280x1024 setting, and my desktop Icons are all rearranged.

I have installed and uninstalled the driver that came with the monitor with no luck on that end. So as I stand now, I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

so your using an integrated intel chipset, which particular one? and does it have dual outputs, or are you running the other card with an dedicated video card?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 skny13

skny13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:07 AM

What are you using for Graphics adapters?

Not sure what you mean? Sorry not to fluid in computer stuff. :thumbsup:

#5 skny13

skny13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:22 AM

Hi Everyone,

so your using an integrated intel chipset, which particular one? and does it have dual outputs, or are you running the other card with an dedicated video card?

No dual output, and no dedicated video card on either.

Both computers I am using the onboard video chip that came with the motherboard. One is an Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics controler (main computer) and the other is a VIA/S3G Unichrome pro. The Intel one, I just went to the Intel site and did the "self system" check, and it told me which driver I currently have, and what to update it to.
Once I did that, the settings tab then had the correct choice to view the monitor at 1440x900, and I applied it and done. But it won't stay there after computer shut-down. (Here is the strange part. If I just do a system restart, then it will restart in the proper setting, but not when shut down for the night)

The other computer with the VIA chipset, I found the only driver update they had for that chip, but it does not offer the 1440x900 setting. So that computer displays at 1024x768 and the monitor just sets itself to 4:3 mode.

I just use a KVM video switcher to toggle between the 2 computers.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Edited by skny13, 09 March 2009 - 09:23 AM.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:58 PM

That answers my question. The graphics adapter is what you connect your monitor to. Either a expansion card (PCI-E, AGP or PCI) or on board (Part of the motherboard chipset). In your case its on board. Is your clock reading the right time? This is generally caused by a low Cmos battery (Which will screw with the date and time and HDD settings). Looks like a watch battery found on your motherboard (CR2025 I think). Try replacing that.

Edit: If you are playing games at all a modest expansion card will do wonders. My card was less than 100 bucks.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 09 March 2009 - 02:59 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

#7 skny13

skny13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:59 PM

That answers my question. The graphics adapter is what you connect your monitor to. Either a expansion card (PCI-E, AGP or PCI) or on board (Part of the motherboard chipset). In your case its on board. Is your clock reading the right time? This is generally caused by a low Cmos battery (Which will screw with the date and time and HDD settings). Looks like a watch battery found on your motherboard (CR2025 I think). Try replacing that.

Edit: If you are playing games at all a modest expansion card will do wonders. My card was less than 100 bucks.

Ok, I got what you ment now. :thumbsup:

Anyway...The clock is fine, I thought that too about the battery on the MB, but everything else is working. I don't play games, mainly surfing and watching movies here-n-there.

I am begining to wonder if it might have something to do with the KVM video switcher?

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:54 PM

It might, try connecting the computer directly to the monitor and see if it retains the settings.

Chad Mockensturm 

#9 skny13

skny13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:28 AM

Ok, so last night I shut down the work computer first (1024x768) then I shut down my personal one (1440x900). This morning I fired up the personal one first (I normaly turn work one first) then the work one. In doing it this way, the monitor saw a signal from the personal computer first, and loaded the proper resolution. When I switched over to the work computer, it also was fine.
So, that leads me to think that the monitor is somehow forcing the personal computer to load at a different setting when it first sees a signal from the work computer.
~insertscratchingheadsmiley~

Any thoughts on this????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users