Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Difference Between 32 Bit Vista, and 64 Bit Vista

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:52 AM

Hey there- i'm going computer shopping at the time being. And i'm sort of wondering what the difference between 64 and 32 bit editions. I know that a 64 can hold 4GB RAM + while 32 goes up to 3.3.

I'm also wondering about the compatibility. Will a 64 Bit version work on a 32 with 3GB RAM? Since I do expect to upgrade if I get the chance.

Thank you all in advance.

Edit: Is there a way to get 64 Bit without actually buying the disk?

Edited by Swordie, 08 March 2009 - 10:04 AM.

Who said I couldn't have everything?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myr707

myr707

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 03:10 PM

You would need to have a 64 bit processor to take advantage of the 64 bit version of windows. You would also have to check and make sure your hardware has 64 bit drivers available. If your question abt getting 64 without the disk you mean upgrading... then no it needs a total fresh install.

#3 Swordie

Swordie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 03:28 PM

Oh okay. Is there a place to check if your Processor is 64 bit vista capable?

#4 GTK48

GTK48

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:05 PM

You can download SIW and it will tell you or just right click on My Computer and it should show there.

#5 Swordie

Swordie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:20 PM

You can download SIW and it will tell you or just right click on My Computer and it should show there.

This may sound stupid, but what is SIW?

And I did the right click My Computer- Did nothing.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 06:01 PM

http://www.gtopala.com/
SIW is an System Information for Windows program (Asset Inventory Tracking, Software and Hardware Inventory, PC Audit, Software License Compliance) SIW is a standalone utility that does not require installation (Portable Freeware) - one less installed program on your PC as well the fact that you can run the program directly from an USB flash drive, from a floppy, from a network drive or from a domain login script.

Once you have downloaded the SIW program, open and in the sidebar scroll down to the hardware heading and beneath that will be "CPU". Double click on it to activate the report. The first line should look something like this:
Number of CPU(s) One Physical Processor / One Core / One Logical Processor / 32 bits
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 06:14 PM

And I did the right click My Computer- Did nothing.

Really? (If you're running Vista already it's just Computer.) You should get a context menu including Properties.

There's little value running a 64bit OS with 3GB of RAM - it will work fine on a 64bit capable processor, but it uses a little more memory space for itself anyway and you're not getting the main advantage of access to large amounts of memory (4G+)

Edited by Platypus, 08 March 2009 - 06:15 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 Swordie

Swordie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 06:49 PM

Well, my SIW said that I am 64 bit, I have duo core too ^^. I found this really good deal, it's an Athlon 4450e x2 processor. Anyone know if it is 64?

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:19 PM

According to the info in this link-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103256
it has 64 bit support.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users