Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bit the Bullet

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:42 AM

Well fellas.

I finally bit the bullet and downloaded a live CD version of Puppy to give it a try....(This was after several attempts at downloading Ubuntu, burning iso image to CD, then watching my monitor just sit there and stare back at me)...I re-booted with this 94mb version and it asked me a few questions...(simple as pie)...Loaded right up...No problems...What a slick little OS....Lots of goodies included.....I'm really impressed...

The only problem that I am having is how to set up my internet connection....I'm using a Sprint (Sierra Wireless EDVO USB Modem)... works great in XP but I'm struggling to get Puppy to recognize it...I'm going to give Sprint a call...Maybe this modem isn't supported in Linux environment or they have some work around...Minor problem anyway...

I really like what I see so far....
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 03:14 PM

if you are using the automount feature... You should be able to purge the connection in the terminal... in the terminal try typing "dhclient" I am pretty sure that puppy uses that dhcp client...

#3 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:16 PM

Automount feature, huh!!! Wasn't aware of that....I haven't found it yet but will continue my search....I do know that the version has the drivers necessary to activate my modem,...They are there....Sprint website gave me directions on how to install them but not sure that I put them in the right place....I know Windows but am really new to Linux...This is a whole new adventure for me...

#4 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:35 PM

Well I am not very sure if puppy does have automount on a fresh install... but I do know most linux distros does include it on it's install... Something you might want to try though is the command I suggested before, also if puppy doesn't have it, I am sure you can look around and find a tar ball to install...

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 05:43 PM

I did a little Googling. Look at the bottom of this page, if you device appears in the table, then there's an official linux driver available: http://www.sierrawireless.com/software/sw_...os_support.aspx

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:14 PM

It's been quite some time since I last used Puppy Linux. But I remember that I could never get it to connect to the internet using a USB connection, however with an Ethernet connection there was no problem.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:17 AM

Thanks fella's for the input...AA the link that you provided led me to a page that gives me detailed instructions on setting it up for the particular model that I have...I will go for it this weekend when I have more time to play...BTW, I have read through the Linux Mini-Guide here at BC and am planning on playing around with the command line...A little different than MS-DOS but I should be able to work through it...Commands are new...Been a long time since I did much with DOS...Should be interesting...

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 12:04 PM

A little different than MS-DOS but I should be able to work through it...Commands are new...Been a long time since I did much with DOS...Should be interesting...

DOS is to the Linux Shell as marbles are to cannonballs.

BASH Prompt HOWTO (Note: PDF File, 709kb)

More Free HOWTO's

#9 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:35 PM

I like your analogy Andrew...

Grumpy - a few things I would suggest as for some pointers... Get used to useing the Man pages... to use a man page "man command" and it will bring up a page for that command.... (not sure if that was in those links lol)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users