Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sims 2 Installation Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LongCatIsLooooong

LongCatIsLooooong

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:35 AM

Hi.
I got the Sims 2 a long time ago, and I installed it on my sister's and brother's computers too.
For some reason, they both decided to delete the game. Now my sister wants me to reinstall it onto her computer.
Actually, she wanted me to reinstall it since about 6 months ago, but I kind of gave up after 1 month of trying. Now I'm trying again.
Just so you know, there are 4 disks. Whenever I get to 21% (still on disk 1), an error pops up saying "A problem occured when trying to transfer the file 'TSData\Res\Sound\Sfx1.package' from the media. Do you want to retry to copy the file, or cancel the installation?". I get the option of choosing either "Retry" or "Cancel". Retry tries again, obviously, but after about 3 minutes I get the error again.
I've seen so many possible answers but none worked so far.
Here's what I've done so far (tips that were given):
I renamed the "InstallShield" folder in the common files folder to "InstallShieldOld" or something like that.
I TRIED to do the whole "Manual Install" thing were I copy and paste all the files to a folder called "Disk Images" with 4 seperate folders for each disk. Of course, something had to go wrong, but in a way its helped me (I'll write why later).
I've tried A TON of things, but none worked.
I've tried installing it so many times that I remember the Installation Code without even looking at it! And it's a 20-character jumble of letters and numbers! (I'm actually serious, I really do remember it)
Now, above I wrote "But in a way its helped me (I'll write why later).". Now I'll tell you how it went wrong and how it's helping me.
When I tried to copy a file called "compressed.zip", after waiting 10 minutes, I got a popup saying something was wrong. I don't know the exact words of it. So I read that someone was also having a problem like mine and it worked when they unzipped it to where they wanted it and rezipped it. When I tried to unzip it I got an error saying that there was something wrong with "TSData\Res\Sound\Sfx1.package". That's the exact same file in the error message I got while trying to install it!
That shows me that there is a problem in that file. I've tried installing the game with WinRar installed, then I tried with WinZip installed, but nothing worked! I actually reformatted my sister's computer (or formatted it, whichever is the one that erases everything on the computer) and it STILL didn't work!
The ONLY other problem I could think of that might be the problem is maybe the disk is scratched/smudged. I can't see any scratches, but it is a tiny bit dirty. I cleaned it using this soft thing and it STILL didn't work!
PLEASE help me, this is REALLY annoying!
Thanks SO MUCH if you help me solve my problem! I just can't fix it!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 11:30 AM

they both decided to delete the game.

How did she go about doing that? Through Add'Remove Programs or just simply deleting folders?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 LongCatIsLooooong

LongCatIsLooooong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:00 PM

they both decided to delete the game.

How did she go about doing that? Through Add'Remove Programs or just simply deleting folders?

Add or remove programs, but it doesn't matter how so much, because I reformatted (or formatted) her computer so that everything was erased and the computer was like we just got it (like it was brand new).

#4 qvcatullus

qvcatullus

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 04:19 PM

Sounds to me like a problem with the disc, rather than a registry error.
I know EA doesn't have the shiniest customer service reputation all the time, but you could contact them and see about a replacement disc. If it's the same one you used to install successfully before, then perhaps it's been damaged? Although I don't know if that could cause a problem with one file like that; usually when I have a damaged disk it simply won't read at all.

Barring that, do you know anyone whose disc you could borrow to install the game? It's a popular game and a friend/neighbour/someone might have it. You own the disc and have a cd key for it so I don't think there would be a legal issue, and if the one corrupt file is the only problem, then hopefully the game would run fine using yours as the play disc.

You should be able to prove it's a problem with the disc and not the computer if you try installing it on another computer (you mentioned your brother also had one; is his around?). If it installs on that computer, I am probably wrong, but if it doesn't work, then you need a new CD.

#5 Cuessane

Cuessane

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 05:10 AM

There seems to be a pretty common error with that exact file during installation. The first recommendation is located here:

http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/e...sid=$p_sid

If these steps do not correct the problem, especially the SafeDisc updates, THEN you can give this next link a try:

http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/e...p;p_faqid=10875

If none of the above steps work, I would try taking the discs to any store that has the game in stock. If you get a nice enough employee, they may exchange it for a new copy of the discs. GameStop and sometimes Wal-Mart are usually pretty good about this, if they have it in stock, as they take no loss, they just return the discs as defective.

Edited by Cuessane, 13 March 2009 - 05:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users