Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pentuim III Computer Rebooting

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Roger Stace

Roger Stace

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:59 AM

Hi Guys

I have this Pentuim III of mine that has Windows XP Home Edition Installed on it. Every time I do a shutdown and the system turns off, the next time I turn it on, the system gets to the start-up screen and then reboots itself, the harddisk seems to be spun down and will start spinning up again in the bios post screen and then posts like normal, I have cleaned the computer with reloading the OS.

Here are my specs

256 MB SD PC133 RAM
EPOX EP-3VBM+ PIII Motherboard
866 Mhz Processor
20 GB Hard Disk Drive
Wireless Card
LAN Card
350 Watt PSU
32 MB VGA Card
Windows XP Home
Comodo Internet Security

Please just tell me its a hardware failure or something else, because even if I install a program sometimes , the system just restarts itself and I have an antivirus which says its clean.

Please Help!!!

Regards

Roger

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:25 PM

Has it always done this? I know my friends computer was doing something similar, and he later found out it was due to a jumper on the motherboard that was set incorrectly. You may want to refer to the motherboard manual to find out the proper way to set the jumpers.

Also, you may want to try resetting the cmos. The easiest way to do this is to unplug your computer from the wall outlet, and take the little battery out for a few minutes. This will reset all of your BIOS settings.

You may want to change your boot order too. Try setting the hard drive as the first boot device. You can do this in the BIOS under boot sequence. Resetting the cmos like I suggested above will change the boot sequence to what it was set to originally.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 03:44 PM

Check add/remove programs to see if you have Roxio Easy CD Creator or Direct CD installed.
Some versions of either will cause the issue.
I had a unit with XP start doing the samething.
It took some searching to find the answer.
I don't use Roxio & did not intentionally install it but it was there !
I removed it & the computer then turned off normally.

Also , Check in the BIOS in the power section to see if it is set properly & i9n XP go to the Control Panel , doble click the Power Options, click on the Advanced tab, on the General page make sure the Power Scheme is set to Home/Office Desk, Click the Advanced tab & where it says, "When I press the power button" it is set to Shut Off
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 CmmTch

CmmTch

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 06:36 PM

I was having shutdown errors after replacing a video card (ati radeon 2400hd AGP) nothing special and not a high performance card. After much searching I found people were experiencing problems if they had Roxio Easy CD Creator installed. I don't remember ever installing anything Roxio, I did a search and sure enough there were a few things it found. I do have Nero burning software that came with my CD. There was no Roxio uninstall anywhere I could find on my pc, I finally found a link to a removal program called Roxizap. I downloaded the "exe" and ran it. The shutdown error stopped, my CD and my DVD on the pc still work, it seemed to work out ok. It does give warnings before you run it about it will remove Adaptec apps too.

Here's a working link to Roxizap, there aren't many left, most direct you back to the Roxio website and they have removed it.

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Roxi...load-21600.html

Use it at your own risk, but it worked for what I needed it to do.
Steve

#5 Roger Stace

Roger Stace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:13 AM

Hi Guys

Thanks for your help, but the problem has stopped and now the PC is suddenly extremely slow.

I have reset everything. but now it takes a while to start up and Windows is still new on the system.

I have also recently installed hddlife to see if it was the Hard disk drive that was failing, but its ok

I am reconsidering on getting another motherboard.

Regards

Roger

#6 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:34 PM

256mb of ram, and a 866mhz processor isn't exactly fast, even running xp. You may want to open up task manager (ctrl +alt +delete all at the same time), and go to the processes tab to see what's running in the background.

You can also run the program "msconfig" and go to the startup section to see what programs start up with your computer. Disabling some of the unnecessary ones can increase the time your computer loads up.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#7 Roger Stace

Roger Stace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:16 PM

Hi Guys

I had a computer with a 766 Mhz CPU and 256 MB RAM and it ran just fine.

Also my hard disk's health is good, but sometimes the HDD shutsoff and it gives me a BSOD about get equal or something similar. I had another machine with similar specs, what is the problem with this machine? Is it the Mainboard I/O ?

Please help

Regards
Roger

#8 CmmTch

CmmTch

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 02:17 PM

You might try this link to see if anything applies to your message when you get the BSOD, scroll down about halfway to see the stop error messages.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/shutdown_issues_in_xp.htm
Steve

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 02:41 PM

I would try removing the video drivers...rebooting...and then reinstalling.

Louis

#10 Roger Stace

Roger Stace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:11 AM

Hi All

I have decided to replace the motherboard because what I think is that when I bought it, one of the COM2 ports onboard had glue on it for what reason , I don't know.

Will let you know if the problem continues when I have replaced the board.

Regards

Roger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users