Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Resolution for new widescreen monitor

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 blub

blub

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 03:32 AM

My grandmother bought a new LCD widescreen monitor and there's obviously a problem with the resolution. Everything appears distorted or stretched. I'm not sure how to fix this as I really don't understand screen resolutions. Typically, she lost the instructions that came with it.

I'm not sure what the exact model of the monitor is but I think it's one of the following: S2009W, S2209W, or S2409W. It's definitely a Dell, I know that much. I think she also bought it at Best Buy, so it's a model they would carry in their stores (like that really helps, :thumbsup:). The video card is a GeForce 6200. The computer is Windows XP.

I was going to try the 1440x900 setting but it wasn't available. I don't know what that means. I do know there was an option that was checked to "Hide modes this monitor cannot display".
Can anyone help with problem?

And if anyone can point me in the direction of a website that easily explains screen resolutions (perhaps with pictures), I would be very grateful. I hate not understanding things like this.

Edited by blub, 08 March 2009 - 03:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,673 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:52 AM

Check for sure what the model is, but Dell list only an S2409W, S2009WF or2009WB, no S2209W. Without the S there is a 2009W or 2209WA.

If you download the appropriate driver from:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...;l=en&s=gen

and install it according to the instructions, Windows will offer the correct resolutions for the monitor.

The native resolution for a 2009W is 1680x1050. For an S2409W it's 1920x1080.

Any standard monitor resolution like 1280x1024 will be stretched sideways on a widescreen monitor.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users