Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad Motherboard?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Phnix

Phnix

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:22 AM

I just bought a few new things to upgrade my old computer. I bought the Intel E8400 processor, the Asus P5Q Pro motherboard, and 2x2GB Corsair 6400, 800Mhz RAM. When i got everything connected, it POST'd just fine, but after that it ran EXTREMELY slow. I mean that it takes 5 minutes to load everything up, after the windows screen pops up. It error messaged the first time i tried to boot, but after that it would boot into windows and run very slow. It was running of the same hard-drives as the old system, which was 1GB of Ram and a 3 year old processor, and everything was working fine. I ran a MEM-Test program that loaded after BIOS and it said there were no errors with the memory. The Motherboard was bought Open-Box through NewEgg, so I have a feeling that it is the source of the problem. I thought that installing a new OS might help, but when it loaded off the disk, even that ran extremely slow. It finally got to the screen to install, and i ended up turning the computer off after 30mins of it just sitting there. I believe there is something wrong, but just not sure. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:33 AM

What kind of power supply are you running with it? if your using the old one, there is a possibility that its not up to the task of running your new equipment. I would check to make sure the system doent pull more amperage or wattage then the PSU can handle.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Phnix

Phnix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:38 AM

I bought a newer PSU about a month ago which is a ThermalTake 430w PSU, which i thought was big enough

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:47 PM

should be unless your running a dedicated video card. Id still be tempted to swap out that PSU with another one, or test it (theres a way to do it but Its kinda risky, thats why I like having an extra PSU layin around to test things with) and see if that does the trick. Might try a different hard drive to, and see if that is the issue. if all comes to worse, rebuild ur old computer and see if it is doing the same thing, if it is the problem is one of your old parts, if its not the problem is the new parts, and motherboard is a possibility, but in reality ur down to elimination. You have already eliminated memory as the problem, and assuming the problems not the old hard drive, then its the PSU, motherboard, or the video card. if its the video card, if you have a dedicated one, then chances are its not directly the video cards fault but the fact your PSU doesnt have enough power to handle it and everything else. Im assuming your bios is set up properly, so my guess is if you dont have a dedicated video card its either the PSU or the motherboard.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users