Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware choices

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 kshme

kshme

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 08 June 2005 - 08:04 AM

I need a notebook to keep a check on an ebay account and to send/recv email. I'll be traveling frequently to remote locations by motorcycle and plan on using an EDGE pc card from Cingular for connectivity. This equipment won't be used for gaming, chatting, music, etc. Only business. Naturally, I don't want to spend a small fortune either. I know a little bit about a lot of things, so please, don't get too techie for me. What i'm looking for is advice in choosing the right equipment for the job and possibly some guidance on where to find a good deal. If you're not familiar with ebay, then let me add that sometimes speed is everything because it IS an auction site...therefore, i'm thinking what processor the notebook has will be important-but I know nothing about processors. Any help/advice will be sincerely appreciated! Thank you.
....Never too far to run....Always enough time to get there....(DILLIGAF....POG MA THON!!!)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2005 - 01:50 PM

Well, this might be a good one for office use....2.6 gig processor
512 megabytes of ram.
comes with preinstalled windows xp office professional.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...6775834507&rd=1

Lots of bidders tho you might want to watch it.

This is also a good standard office/traveling type

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...6774142453&rd=1

#3 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2005 - 03:02 AM

Dear kshme,

You know I heard of a laptop that Panasonic made that may meet your expectations.

Can you afford $4000 USD. Panasonic's Toughbook 18 seems like the choice you need.

Let us know,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#4 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2005 - 11:53 AM

4000 for a laptop are you kidding me.........you could get a kickass custom or alienware desktop for 4000 bucks.

#5 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2005 - 09:30 PM

True...but can you drop it?

The Panasonic is made to take a beating.

From construction sites to the bowels of ship building.
Thats why it costs $4000.

Drop an Alienware computer and see what happens.

When you ride your motorcycle, I pray that this never happens, you may drop the bike or the laptop. Not only will you be damaged, the bike, but the laptop
will be toast.

At the prices laptops cost, its an investment at any level. I would check with each manufacturer to see if they have a outside/working model. It will cost more but I think you will be happy in the end.

Let us know,

Your Hardware Guide.

#6 kshme

kshme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2005 - 01:41 PM

[FONT=Times][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple] :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet: Hey everybody! Thanks for the input! It just so happens that I have seen the "toughbooks" and yes, they are just exactly that--TOUGH--military specs....but instead of investing $4000, I've decided to get a pelican case for transport. That's what I carry my gen 3 night vision monocular in and it HAS fallen off the bike before! :cool: (Oops) Luckily, pelican cases are extremely rugged and have very thick foam padding on the inside. There was no damage what-so-ever to my monocular. The "oops" happened on the interstate at approx 75mph. But like I said, thank you for the input. :inlove: Now, do you have any suggestions on what processor, os, etc? And where to get the best price? :huh:

I'm looking forward to the feedback!
This is a really cool site! :cool: :woot:
....Never too far to run....Always enough time to get there....(DILLIGAF....POG MA THON!!!)

#7 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2005 - 02:35 PM

so what your basically saying is...you can drop it and it will live so well hit the price up 2000 bucks.

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 10 June 2005 - 11:06 PM

Hmm... I had an interesting experience while searching for 'toughened' laptops for our local bushfire brigade. We found a single supplier of 'Mil Spec' laptops and had a look at the details - the Mil-Spec is the laptop has to be a ble to survive a 1 metre drop onto steel plate something like 5 times in succession. That's it. No titanium casing, no ruggedised hard drive, no special components, no armoured glass screen. Still there was a model that looked suitable and it did have a splash proof keyboard (might come in handy in the fire brigade!) so we went to buy it - "sorry discontinued, please see new models".
So we check out the new models - same blurb, same brushed aluminium cases same splash proof keyboard. But something is missing? Oh yes, they've dropped the Mil Spec!
Moral - be sure you know what you're getting for the extra money.

So to cut a long story short, your tough case is probably a very good option.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#9 kshme

kshme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2005 - 09:47 AM

Yeah, no doubt Rimmer! Why chuck out all that cash when you don't have to?! LOL! (I can think of lots of other things i'd like to spend that kinda money on-like more chrome on the Harley...) & besides, I know for a fact that a pelican case will do the job. Now...if I can just find that killer deal on a notebook! Haha! I called Dell and Gateway-cheapest I could get em down to was $1000. I'm still looking for a better deal. Maybe i'm just cheap or maybe it has something to do with my dad being a factory worker/dirt farmer/cattleman and being reared in a "simple" country fashion... :thumbsup: Then again, maybe I just might have 1/2 a brain and choose not to fall for all the bleep that people try to "sell"! :flowers: Rock on guys! Enlighten me with your knowledge! (I meant that sincerely!) :trumpet:

#10 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2005 - 10:42 PM

Dear kshme,

Ha! If you find one under $1000 let me know.

Maybe used unit? Check you local small computer store. Sometimes they get a trade in.

In Laptops you almost get what you pay for. Honestly, I hate Laptops! Big guy thing, too small to type on. I look like a squirrel on its hind legs typing.

Let us know and good luck,

P.S. All those born On February 11th are good looking and smart! Also, witty, suave, courteous, debonair, charming... :flowers:
Your Hardware Guide.

#11 kshme

kshme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2005 - 01:21 AM

Hey there junkdk! Hope you had a good day-rained here-it was a beautiful day!

[QUOTE]P.S. All those born On February 11th are good looking and smart! Also, witty, suave, courteous, debonair, charming...
I have to totally agree!

Ok, I understand you hate laptops...but (if you care to elaborate) say you were going to build one for checking ebay and sending/receiving email ONLY...what would you choose from hardware to programs? :thumbsup:

I would be pleased to see the response of anyone that might care to share their thoughts.
:flowers: :cool:

Also, thank you for the wish of good luck...I AM the 4-leaf clover queen around here! :trumpet: No, really, I AM! BTW - squirrels are cute....
:inlove: :cool: :woot:

#12 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2005 - 01:07 AM

Dear kshme,

Sorry, I can not you help in building a laptop. Here's why:

1. It can be done but why would you want to?

2. It would be way more expensive then you are willing to spend.

3. When you get the parts, at the price you want, who is going to build it? Compatibility is crucial for laptops. Do you know? Laptops are very sensitive to its components.

4. If you get the laptop built and you have a problem, who will you ask? Bleepingcomputer has some of the greatest techs you will never meet. :thumbsup:
But unless any of us has built your computer we will only be as good as our experiences.

If we have had no experience with your problem, you're screwed.

5. Customer service is a huge plus when it comes to laptops. They tend to have more problems so their customer service is geared to their products.

Building a desktop that rocks for the price, I can do. Laptops...continue next post

Let us know,

junkdk :flowers:
Your Hardware Guide.

#13 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2005 - 01:23 AM

Dear kshme,

I hate long posts.

...to continue.

This is what I would do.

I would call the manufacturers directly; Sony, Panasonic, Dell, Apple and etc.

Tell them what you want and what do they have to offer. Remember, the government gets discounts at many of these companies.

Be nice at first and if they are incompetent ask for a superior. Or call back.

Many times some dumb dumb got a job and knows nothing. Call back.

You won't get a laptop for under $1000 but if you're sweet to them you would be surprised on how they can get you a good deal.

Try to stay away from refurbished items. I have had no good luck with that stuff. Lease stuff is cool as long as it comes with a warranty.

Right now we have lease Dell laptops and they work OK but soon that lease will be up.

Might be worth some research,

Your Hardware Guide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users