Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Automatic Updates

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gdes

gdes

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:22 PM

My WinXP Pro installation tries to install an update at shutdown time each time I shut down the system. This started to happen a few days ago and every time I shutdown this message appears. It appears to go through the motions and shuts down the system without any errors but this happens every time I shut down.

I would appreciate if someone can tell me;

1. how to check the name of the update it is trying to install
2. how to fix this problem

Thanks in advance.

gdes.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 11:22 PM

There are a couple of things you can do :

1. When an update is ready to be installed there is usually a "Yellow" sheild in the system tray. If you click on it a window will open giving you two options
One is the default setting labeled "Express" the other is labeled "Optional". If you put a tick in the optional radio button another window will open telling
you the name of the update and whether you want to install it or not.
2. You can change your security settings by clicking Start>Settings>Control Panel. Click on the Security Center Icon (Sheild). Click on Manage Automatic
Updates. You can change your settings there. Change it to "Notify me of updates" or something that you are comfortable with. That way you can decide
which ones you want to install and when you want to install them. You can also choose to turn them off all together but I don't recommend that unless you
are religious about checking for critical updates. (Really a moot point as I don't know if Microsoft is still writing critical updates to support XP).

Edited by OldGrumpyBastard, 07 March 2009 - 11:24 PM.

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 gdes

gdes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 11:55 PM

There are a couple of things you can do :

1. When an update is ready to be installed there is usually a "Yellow" sheild in the system tray. If you click on it a window will open giving you two options
One is the default setting labeled "Express" the other is labeled "Optional". If you put a tick in the optional radio button another window will open telling
you the name of the update and whether you want to install it or not.
2. You can change your security settings by clicking Start>Settings>Control Panel. Click on the Security Center Icon (Sheild). Click on Manage Automatic
Updates. You can change your settings there. Change it to "Notify me of updates" or something that you are comfortable with. That way you can decide
which ones you want to install and when you want to install them. You can also choose to turn them off all together but I don't recommend that unless you
are religious about checking for critical updates. (Really a moot point as I don't know if Microsoft is still writing critical updates to support XP).

Thanks for the prompt response.

I notice that the yellow shield almost disappears instantaneously (probably because it is a small update?) and therefore it is not possible to work out what the update is.

I change the automatic update setting to 'download but let me decide when to update' but it never gives me the option! The update message appears only at shutdown time.

It appears that the downloaded file is not removed from the update folder after the initial installation. Do you know where the files awaiting the update are kept?

Many thanks

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:34 AM

The little yellow shield will come up when the system is checking for updates. If there are no new updates it will quickly disappear.

Oddly, I noticed that my "spare" XP system has been installing updates the last couple of times I used it though I never saw the shield in the tray nor was I notified of updates. I wonder if MS has sent out another glitch? I'll check it out.

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:36 AM

Do you have Windows Defender? That's how the updates behave for that product. The shield comes up and then disappears. It's just updating Defender definitions. You can check your history at Microsoft Update to see what was actually updated.

Edited by frankp316, 08 March 2009 - 05:37 AM.

#6 JJ2K

JJ2K

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:33 PM

You might want to check you update history via the microsoft update website, just click the link "review your update history" and see when the latest updates were installed.

Also I think the downloaded updates are stored in:

%SYSTEMROOT%\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\

So check in there, sort the files by date and see which files are being downloaded on the problem days.

You may also find a detailed log of Windows Updates in:

%SYSTEMROOT%\WINDOWS\WindowsUpdate.log

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093 < Information on how to read this log.

#7 gdes

gdes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:37 PM

Thanks for all those who replied.

The problem just went away yesterday and I thought it may have been due to the fact that I stopped running Spybot yesterday. However, when I checked my update history it reveals that the update KB967715 had been installed (successfully!) every day from the 25 Feb to 8 March. Not sure what was going on but fortunately the problem is no longer there.

Thanks again for all the good hints.

gdes. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users