Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My windows 7 findings

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:39 PM

Just installed Windows 7 today I will periodically update this thread with new findings.

So Far

Hp Drivers for my d7460: I had to install under Vista compatibility mode. To do this you need to explore the cd and find the setup exe file. Right click on it and select properties then go to the compatibility tab and select vista and run with administrator.

Logitech web cam: Installed automatically although I haven't used it yet.

EVGA 9500 Gt: Nvidia Has Windows 7 Drivers up on their site already.

USB disk's: Something happend to both of my USB drives not sure what exactly but I had to use Recovery software to get my files back and now I can't format or use either of the disk drives. Next time I will be sure to remove them.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:35 AM

Thats just what i wanted to know about HP drivers
thanks

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:05 AM

Your welcome.

Office 2007: Installed no problems

Adobe CS2: Installed no problem

Blackberry Software: Installed no problems Syncing no problems

Ascendo Money for BB: Installed no Problems

Over all no problems yet everything seems to be working. Still a big change from Xp pro. I am not familiar with Vista either so this will take some getting used to.

Chad Mockensturm 

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 11:27 AM

Having issues with the Toshiba Bluetooth stack on a Kensington MicroBlueTooth adapter
Have minor issues with the Lenovo fingerprint driver/software - but works well enough to secure my logon/logoff
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:11 PM

I had heard about it killing your music library but nothing on the usb drives, any links on this?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 01:27 PM

Fellow Readers.
I need some help please
i am trying to install the software for HP 6980 printer and HP G 4010 scanner
Even using compability mode set to Vista it won't install.
Help would be much appreciated
Regards

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 01:51 PM

Phillip what kind of errors are you getting?

@Chewy I did a Google search as I am sure you have, I didn't find anything specific on losing information on USB drives. I can only think that they may have been corrupted somehow during the installation. I may have screwed something up since I originally tried installing on an IDE 80 gig but my computer would always try the 80 gig first and not give me a choice to run Xp on my SATA. I quickly searched for bootloaders but wasn't impressed with my findings at the time. So I partitioned my 250gb SATA and used that. However when trying to format the IDE I formated the SATA instead, woops! :huh: . During all the moving around something had to have happend to the USB drives. I used Easus Data Recovery and recoverd all the important files from the drives including my Fiance's papers for school. :huh: That program is a godsend first time I had to use it and it saved my behind.

Update: Epson Perfection 1670 Scanner installed and working

Edited by Sneakycyber, 08 March 2009 - 01:52 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 01:53 PM

The reason I asked was google drew a blank execpt for a lot of guides on making usb boot drives for windows 7
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:03 PM

That's what I got too.

Update: Omnipass for Windows Xp (naturally) doesn't work waiting for "Jason" to respond to my request for a Windows 7 or Vista compatible software.

Chad Mockensturm 

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:03 PM

Is this 32 bit or 64 bit Windows7?

The usual way is to install the drivers using compatibility mode for All Users in the installer while running as an Administrator.
Drivers are different from the software for - and install differently.
THen there may ve issues between how the software interacts with the drivers.

So, in short, you may be able to get the system to print, but the interactive software that comes with the printer (that you'll use to do the different tasks like copying/faxing/etc) may not work correctly.

To further increase compatibility, once the drivers are installed, you'll have to locate the folder wihich houses the software programs (either Program Files or Program Files (x86) in most cases). Once there, set the compatibility mode for each and every executable file (for All Users again) to run as Windows Vista and to Run as Administrator.

One major issue that I've recently been made aware of is software checking winver for version numbers. Thiss accounts of the issues with WinXP (v5.x) versus Windows Vista (v6.0). As Windows7 is v6.1 this problem won't be as widespread - but if the software checks for the complete version (rather than the version before the .) this may cause issues (and would necessitate changing the portion of the program that checks for version numbers (beyond my ability)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:19 PM

There might be more information about migrating from XP to Win7 in the tutorials located here:
http://edge.technet.com/Media/User-State-M...with-Windows-7/

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#12 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:20 PM

The printer works fine with the Windows driver but i also want the software that goes with it
further searching required on the original disc.
Thanks

#13 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 07:29 PM

Umm where is outlook in Windows 7? My BB synced with something but I can't find the program.

Edit: Answerd my Question. Outlook is no longer. Download Windows Live essentials for E-mail. Looks like I am switching to Yahoo or Google

Edited by Sneakycyber, 08 March 2009 - 07:38 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

#14 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:13 AM

My problems with HP 6980 and HP 4010 sorted
I just remember both were supplied with a Vista disc
I used those set to compatible to Vista.Strange they were not set like that in the first place.
Anyway they both installed perfectly.
That completes my software and hardware for Windows 7.
I shall wait for a new Nero that is compatible with W7
It looks as if W7 RC is going to be availabe to testers and the public as a trial sometime in April
That should be intersting
Best Regards
Philip

#15 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:00 PM

Thanks for posting the solution. Philip, I am still waiting on APC to respond to my request.

Chad Mockensturm 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users