Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't get rid of a virus!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Peter Porker

Peter Porker

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:24 PM

I'm not very computer savvy, but I had Malwarebytes virus program, and I kept getting viruses which i have no log of. I would clean up the viruses nearly everyday, and it would say i have to restart my computer to remove the remaining viruses. After restarting, and running Malwarebytes again, I would immediately have more viruses and it would prompt me to restart the computer again. After 2-3 days of this, and the scans taking longer and longer, finally the virus took complete control, disabled my desktop picture, and now I can't open or run Malwarebytes. I got into SAFE mode, and Malwarebytes still wouldn't run, so I got it deleted from my computer, virus still remaining. Now I can't download Malwarebytes again, the virus won't even let me go to any internet pages now. I am writing from my laptop, the virus is on my desktop. So now I have a crazy virus, no more Malwarebytes, and unable to download the other free virus scans. Also unable to open task manager, computer says task manager is disabled by administrator. :thumbsup:

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum as suggested below. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:29 PM

You are right here with this problem. Although you must post it to a different forum at bleepingcomputer, which deals with viruses. Wait a few minutes, maybe the moderator will redirect this post to the right forum where people who know how to handle such serious infection hang out :-)

Edit: Removed unnecessary quote. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 07 March 2009 - 08:33 PM.

Message from Patbox: I AM LOOKING FOR A GIRLFRIEND (PM if interested) :-)

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:48 PM

Hello let's see if we can get an MBAm log by trying some of these.

Some types of malware will disable MBAM and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it. Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file and change the .exe extension to .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr and then double-click on it to run.

If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files, right-click on mbam.exe and change the .exe as noted above. Then double-click on it to run..

Another work around is by not using the mouse to install it, Just use the arrow keys, tab, and enter keys.
Open up command prompt, type in following commands:
XP >> click the Start menu at the lower-left of your computer's desktop and select "Run". Type cmd into the Run box and click "OK".
Vista >> click the Start menu at the lower-left of your computer's desktop and Type cmd in the search box.

regsvr32 mbamext.dll
regsvr32 ssubtmr6.dll
regsvr32 vbalsgrid6.ocx
regsvr32 zlib.dll

If you cannot use the Internet,you will need access to another computer that has a connection.
From there save mbam-setup.exe to a flash,usb,jump drive or CD. Now transfer it to the infected machine, then install and run the program.
If you cannot transfer to or install on the infected machine, try running the setup (installation) file directly from the flash drive or CD by double-clicking on mbam-setup.exe so it will install on the hard drive.

Manually Downloading Updates:
Manually download them from HERE and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Alternatively, you can update through MBAM's interface from a clean computer, copy the definitions (rules.ref) located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from that system to a usb stick or CD and then copy it to the infected machine.

Also unable to open task manager, computer says task manager is disabled by administrator.

This step involves making changes in the registry. Always back up your registry before making any changes.

Go to Start Run and type: regedit
Click OK.
On the left side, click to highlight My Computer at the top.
Go up to File Export
Make sure in that window there is a tick next to "All" under Export Branch.
Leave the "Save As Type" as "Registration Files".
Under "Filename" put RegBackup.
Choose to save it to C:\
Click save and then go to File Exit.

Or you can download and use ERUNT which is an excellent free tool that allows you to to take a snapshot (backup) of your registry before making changes and restore it when needed.

Click on the link below:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
Scroll down to #275 and click "Lift Restrictions - TM, Regedit and CMD" in the left column. Go to File, choose "Save page as" All Files and save regtmcmdrestore.vbs to your desktop. Double-click on that file to allow the script to run and reboot when done. Since the script modifies certain registry settings your anti-virus package may warn you about it. Ignore the warning and allow it to run.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Peter Porker

Peter Porker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:11 PM

Grrr! I have MBAM on a portable hard drive and tried installing it on the infected computer. The infected computer almost fully installed MBAM, but when the install bar filled all the way, it locked up. but i can still move the cursor and clicked on safe mode from MSCONFIG, and now it won't restart. I tried renaming and downloading, won't install or uninstall anything. What should I do???

Edited by Peter Porker, 07 March 2009 - 09:45 PM.

#5 Peter Porker

Peter Porker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:50 PM

I am really stuck here. I can't get Malwarebytes or any other virus scan to work, even from SAFE mode. Can't install or uninstall anything, the virus has won!

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:31 PM

You cannot install from a CD or flash drive?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Peter Porker

Peter Porker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:31 AM

OK. I have a nasty virus. I have windows xp. I have most control of my computer now, but still can't get rid of a couple viruses. My background pic is not up, the screen is royal blue with all the normal desktop icons still there. I have Malware bytes, spybot search & destroy, Hijack this!, super antispyware, and process explorer. I went on youtube and watched a video and used hijackthis! and procexplorer to remove a lot of viruses, but still can't remove others! I can follow your directions pretty easily if anyone is willing to work with me, just reply with what you want me to post for you. Thanks in advance!

Edited by Peter Porker, 12 March 2009 - 11:21 AM.

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,805 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:10 PM

Hello Peter Porker,

Now that you have a log posted here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/210971/cant-remove-viruses-vundo-adware-and-more/ you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users