Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

iexplorer.exe

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 REDSHIRT

REDSHIRT

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 06:45 PM

My computer is infected with something. It's causing high CPU usage constant pop-ups.
In the task manager, there seems to be an iexplorer.exe file that shouldnt be there.

The computer was inherited. The old user told me he removed internet exploerer with add-remove programs, but there is still an internet explorer folder on the C drive. The pop ups are also internet explorer, although the current browser is firefox.

If anyone can give me an idea of what to do, I would greatly appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:18 PM

This sounds like a malware issue to me...I would re-post in the "Am I Infected" forum and follow their expert advice:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 REDSHIRT

REDSHIRT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:21 PM

Ok, will do.

Thank you.

#4 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:25 PM

My computer is infected with something. It's causing high CPU usage constant pop-ups.
In the task manager, there seems to be an iexplorer.exe file that shouldnt be there.

The computer was inherited. The old user told me he removed internet exploerer with add-remove programs, but there is still an internet explorer folder on the C drive. The pop ups are also internet explorer, although the current browser is firefox.

If anyone can give me an idea of what to do, I would greatly appreciate it.

Yes, you need to post to the Malware (virus) forum, as suggested above. The guys there are trained for malware, if you are serious about removing it.

Meanwhile just try the windows utility for malware. Go to Start/Run and type mrt

A window will pop up. Follow the instructions.
Message from Patbox: I AM LOOKING FOR A GIRLFRIEND (PM if interested) :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users