Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

gaming laptop? suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chopficaro

chopficaro

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 06:30 PM

im in the market for a gaming laptop. any suggestions? the most intense thing ill ever run on it is starcraft 2.

im not going to be anal and need to run everything on max shadows etc, the one thing i want is to run games in 1920x1080 though

and whats the deal with everything on newegg? it looks like they all come with their own operating systems! i dont want that! i want to save money and install my own!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:50 AM

good luck with that, since most laptops are prebuilt their gonna come with an OS. You might try calling a manufacturer and see if they will sell you one without an OS, but I sincerely doubt it. what are you planning on installing? you do realize that legally, with windows your not supposed to move one windows from an old computer to a new, you have to purchase a new one. not to say I havent done it in the past but legally, thats what you have to do. now if your planning on a opensource OS like linux legally your fine, problem is linux will be a pain to get ur games to run on it. this is why most laptops come with an OS-microsoft doesnt want you reusing your old OS. its lame, but its microsoft, trying to screw everyone over as much as they can. as far as laptops go, Dells remadeover alienware rigs are still somewhat good, but as far as it goes I dont game on laptops so I dont know what laptops be good for gaming and which ones wouldnt just what ive heard. been seeing some ASUS ones to but no idea how good they are, I know they make excellent motherboards though, so if they make their laptops as good as their mobos, then they should be good quality. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 DA8686

DA8686

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:32 PM

I found these about:

Minimum System Requirements for Starcraft 2
Processor: 1.4 Ghz Processor
Memory: 512 MB RAM
Graphics card: 128 MB RAM video card capable of Hardware TnL. DX10 is not required, but will be supported by SC2 and Blizzard are considering adding DX10 specific effects.
Pixel Shader 2.0 (Officially Confirmed)

I would recommend going a bit above those and getting a dual core processor and at least 1 GB of ram. You will also need a video card that isn't the standard onboard graphics card it seems. Alienware and the Dell XPS are pretty solid gaming laptops. I have an older Dell XPS m170 and it still can play the latest games.

#4 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:21 PM

Well, for a gaming computer in my perspective, is a 3GB RAM, 250-320GB HDD, and probably a nVidia GeForce 9800GT+ (512 MB Shared Memory)

I'm not sure what your budget is, but i'd get a Pentium Dual Core or Core 2 Duo (there isn't really any Quad Core laptops available in the market at the moment.)
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:48 PM

Laptops are not good choices for gaming. They often have underpowered components that go obsolete quicker and cannot be upgraded. Also, they are more expensive than their desktop counterparts. In order to run games at a true high definition resolution, 1920x1080 native, you're going to have to get a large screen about 18 inches or higher. At that size, laptops are solidly in the $1,500 to $2,000 price range. If you have that kind of money to spend, you can get a very powerful i7 desktop that will handle almost anything. If you choose to proceed with a laptop purchase, I don't suggest Dell as their quality is horrible, instead, go for a boutique builder. Also, do not get a Centrino or Turion processor as they do not usually provide the same level of performance as a standard desktop processor. Get as much RAM as you can afford and go for a dedicated graphics card. Starcraft 2 is nice, but the minimum specs are extremely low.

3939.png

#6 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:28 PM

FragBook 17" SLI Gaming Machine! With an Intel Core 2 Duo processor and SLI nVidia 9800GTX GO graphics it becomes a superpower among laptops.

Falcon Northwest - $4,530.78
http://www.falcon-nw.com/

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:38 PM

FragBook 17" SLI Gaming Machine! With an Intel Core 2 Duo processor and SLI nVidia 9800GTX GO graphics it becomes a superpower among laptops.

Falcon Northwest - $4,530.78
http://www.falcon-nw.com/

And it probably weighs a lot too!

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users