Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stop: c0000135 (unable to locate component) error

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 youcanwakeuphere

youcanwakeuphere

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 05:31 PM

I have a dell computer with windows xp. When I turn on the computer, it tries to open the windows xp software (shows the logo) but instead ends with the above Stop error (Stop: c0000135 (unable to locate component)). There isn't anything I can do from here except turn the computer off (none of the keys work). I have tried most of the functions in the boot menu like safe mode, last known good config, etc.. I have even tried to put in the windows xp operating disc to re-instal the software, but it always goes to the blue screen with the above error.

What are my options?

Thank you in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 06:17 PM

Read this Article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885523

You may find that you can use the recovery console to fix this.
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 06:20 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

From what I read, it's a registry failure situation.

If it happened to me, I would just do a repair install of XP, rather than try 500 different things that are going to lead me to the same decision.

Here is some Microsoft guidance, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/142676

When you inserted the CD...did you change the boot options so that the CD would be the first option? Can you get into your BIOS?

Louis

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 06:58 PM

OOps...missed the user32.dll part...Good thing Louis is paying attension...

#5 youcanwakeuphere

youcanwakeuphere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:52 PM

I have tried moving the cd/dvd option to the first boot sequence. I can hear that the cd is being read but nothing appears except the blue screen with the error. Any other suggestions or am I looking at an expensive paper weight?

Thanks again in advance.

#6 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:52 PM

Try this:

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/1...false-positive/

Edited by OldGrumpyBastard, 07 March 2009 - 10:53 PM.

#7 youcanwakeuphere

youcanwakeuphere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:44 AM

I think I am getting close. I used the above USB instructions. I am now on a dos looking screen with "Could not find kernel image: linux" boot: this is followed by the blinking curser.

#8 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:08 PM

If I understand you correctly you have tried to follow the link that I previously gave you and downloaded the program to your USB drive, Booted from your USB drive and you recieved this error....Appearently this is a Linux based fix....Imagine that...Linux fixing a Windows problem....HMMM!!!

I guess that maybe a file is missing from the download.....I would suggest trying to download it again and burn an iso image to CD and go that route...I am a real novice with Linux but there are many members here that can guide you through Linux issues better than I can...

#9 youcanwakeuphere

youcanwakeuphere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:26 PM

Yes, you are correct. I followed the directions and just finished repeating with no luck. The USB device does light up like it is trying to work but it doesn't work. I can also hear the DVD drive working but it doesn't read the windows disc. I will try burning the same info I have on mu USB device and see if that works.

Any chance there is a code or something that you can type after the kernel image message that will get me into some sort of mode than I can work from, let me know.

Thanks again!

#10 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 05:56 AM

If all else fails you may try SFC...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

#11 youcanwakeuphere

youcanwakeuphere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:08 PM

The real problem seems to be that the disc drive will not boot anything, even if that is the only device I "leave open". I have tried restarting with the windows xp cd in the drive and it hasn't seem to read anything. It just ends up at the blue screen with the error.

Is there a way in the setup menu (f2) or the boot menu (f12) or by hitting f8 to get to a screen that will allow me to type commands that might help. The last link that was sent to me seemed to have the info I need, except I don't have a way to access the "start" and "run" functions with it locking up on the blue screen.

#12 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 04:28 AM

I'm sorry, I forgot that you can't boot into Windows... As for your CDROM drive....This is a problem...On a healthy system (by that I mean a system that most, if not all of the hardware works...maybe not well...but at least works) you shouldn't have any problem putting your XP CD in the drive and booting to do a repair installation or use the recovery console at the very least...Until you replace the failing drive (they are relatively inexpensive) and get it to work...At least enough to read your XP CD, I don't know of any other options...Once you get it working then you should be able to replace the missing file relatively easily...Right now you are just pi**in' in the wind, IMO...

#13 youcanwakeuphere

youcanwakeuphere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:58 AM

I really appreciate all of your help. I am having a tech look at it today. I will let you know how it goes.

#14 Strong_Neo

Strong_Neo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:35 AM

I solved the problem with a simple repair of the OS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users