Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it possible for a website to access your webcam and take a picture?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 05:11 PM

Just out of curiosity. In this scenario, the user has an up to date antivirus, firewall and web browser.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 05:21 PM

It may be possible... but most likely not... That would be a very great program that could... Though there are programs that could be put on a persons computer that would let someone remotely take a picture of someone with their webcam...

#3 JJ2K

JJ2K

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:48 PM

I've always wondered this, when on a P.C with a webcam installed on the monitor/laptop.

I guess it is possible if somebody takes over your computer, but then again you mention an up to date firewall, av and browser.

Regarding websites, I have previously been on sites which access your webcam to take a picture, I had to do it once when applying for this card which had to have your picture on.

But nowadays with Firewalls, and increased browser security i'm sure you would get some warning before the webcam was accessed.

#4 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:46 PM

I know for a fact on FB, you can access your WC to take a picture.
As for the getting into your computer.. If you have the necessary security precautions already in your computer, it would be really hard.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#5 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 06:07 PM

What's FB?

#6 JJ2K

JJ2K

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 06:17 PM

Facebook.

Swordie does it provide a warning of some sort from your protection/browser before it actually shows up with the live webcam picture on the site?

#7 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 06:35 PM

Well no wonder I never wanted to go to FB... Personally if I had a wc, I would be very precautious about that stuff....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users