Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Circuit City Closeout

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:54 PM

Be Cautious

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/124232
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 06:18 PM

Ya I heard about it too. Also, now the deals might not be so bad either, but when they first started the liquidation sale, they actually raised some of the prices a bit to make money off of the not informed shopper.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 01:24 AM

hey its not circuit citys fault they got a monster named danny ripping through their store the night before the final sale. I mean seriously, they shoulda posted armed guards. LOL.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:13 AM

Wow, that disk looked really bad.. And I went to CC yesterday-- if you wanted one of those nice mouses, you had to pay 16 dollars for a used, sample one that may not work.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:19 PM

Open damaged boxes before you pay. Any dents or dings in the outer package indicate abuse, and also make the item not a "sealed" item.

Note: Damaged to items (even small dents and dings) can allow you to get the price lowered

Edited by BlackSpyder, 08 March 2009 - 04:21 PM.

Posted Image

#6 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:24 PM

Love your new avatar, Garmanma, even if it is only temporary: a dancing leprechaun. Does he prefer Guinness or Boones Farm, Cloverfields flavor?

Wouldn't it just be safer to buy items that would not be difficult to service or to return to the manufacturer? Like new games, blu-ray, cds, etc.? Circuit City may be trying to unload all its defective returns on the unsuspecting populace, rather than go through the trouble and expense of returning them to the distributors, manufacturers, etc.

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:47 PM

I went to the Circuit City nearby yesterday... man was that place picked clean!

#8 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:26 PM

At my CC, they have all these scrapped open boxes for EHD's.. I was going to pick up one, but guess what? The whole side of it was broken in half. You could even see the wires dangling out.. and what makes it worse, was it was the last one :trumpet: :flowers: :thumbsup:
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#9 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:17 PM

I heard they were selling the CC shirts right off the employees backs too! I was reading some article, and a guy said there was a box of the employees sweaty shirts for sale, $2 apiece! What a deal! (sarcasm)
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 11:02 PM

I heard they were selling the CC shirts right off the employees backs too! I was reading some article, and a guy said there was a box of the employees sweaty shirts for sale, $2 apiece! What a deal! (sarcasm)

hey I woulda bought one just for kicks and giggles lol to bad there not a CC around here. . .

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#11 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:11 AM

I don't blame Circuit City and I don't blame the consumers. As many of you have mentioned you have to be smart about what you buying. Think about it this way, if you are willing to throw the money you are spending on an electronic item down the drain then don't care about what you are purchasing. However, if you value your money that you are using to purchase an electronic item, then use caution. This is the "philosophy" I have used when purchasing electrnoic items. As far as warranties, I only buy them if I don't feel paying for common repairs that are covered. Most things I have bought in the past I have been able to fix or repair on my own.

#12 Guest_tylerisdabest_*

Guest_tylerisdabest_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:51 PM

circut city sucks, thats why i go to best but and frys! woops lol, best buy xD

#13 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:37 PM

I always get warranties on my laptops cuz I absolutly hate working on laptops lol but as far as other electronic media, like desktop computers eh whatever comes with the part is fine with me, I love working on them. And I order most of my electronic parts through newegg, no need to go to some electronics store and waste a lot of money for something I could get cheaper elsewhere. for example, I needed a firewire (ie1394) card for a project in college (needed to hook a digital camera to my aging HP computer that is no longer in existence and it only had firewire hookups) and I needed it right away so I went to staples and bought one for 50 bucks. now it worked great, im still using it in my latest build, problem is I got online the day after and realized I coulda ordered the same card off of newegg for like 25 bucks including shipping ouch. not that it mattered, I couldnt of waited for the shipping i needed it right then, but since then Ive learned and planned ahead enough that if I need something like that I got enough time to save some time and order it. :D

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users