Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti Malware, Anti Spyware Software

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:47 PM

I have Avira Antivir Free addition. I was wondering do I also need an anti malware protection? Which would be a good and cheap anti malware?
Message from Patbox: I AM LOOKING FOR A GIRLFRIEND (PM if interested) :-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 05:05 PM

Well, I do not run any anti-spyware/malware protection in real time but I do scan with it often. All the products I use to do this are free and easy. My favorite ones are SuperAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes and Spybot Search and Destroy. Since getting the first two, I rarely use Spybot for scanning as it is much slower than the others and I feel the others do a better job.

However, I like Spybot because it has an immunize feature for immunizing you system against known bad threats and also has a feature called SD Helper which is bad site blocker, anyways I think that is the name of the feature that does that. Also it can help you control what programs are allowed to start on bootup. Do not use that last feature unless you are an advanced computer user and know the difference between what does and doesn't need to start up when the system does. For most items, Spybot will give its recommendation on keeping that program running if you open the side panel and click on the item. Good rule of thumb on that one is, if it is a Windows program, leave it running, if it is for a program you just installed, you can decide if you want it to run or not when the system starts up. Other than the windows programs, the only things I allow to run on start up are my keyboard (as I use its customized features) and my anitvirus/firewall program.

Edited by Stang777, 07 March 2009 - 05:11 PM.

#3 FiOS Dan

FiOS Dan

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 05:07 PM

I run Spyware Terminator in the background and MBAM and SuperAntiSpyware on demand. Cost = $0.
Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway.

#4 patbox

patbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 05:12 PM

Well, I do not run any anti-spyware/malware protection in real time but I do scan with it often. All the products I use to do this are free and easy. My favorite ones are SuperAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes and Spybot Search and Destroy. Since getting the first two, I rarely use Spybot for scanning as it is much slower than the others and I feel the others do a better job.

However, I like Spybot because it has an immunize feature for immunizing you system against known bad threats and also has a feature called SD Helper which is bad site blocker, anyways I think that is the name of the feature that does that. Also it can help you control what programs are allowed to start on bootup. Do not use that last feature unless you are an advanced computer user and know the difference between what does and doesn't need to start up when the system does. For most items, Spybot will give its recommendation on keeping that program running if you open the side panel and click on the item. Good rule of thumb on that one is, if is a Windows program, leave it running, if it is for a program you just installed, you can decide if you want it to run or not when the system starts up. Other than the windows programs, the only things I allow to run on start up are my keyboard (as I use its customized features) and my anitvirus/firewall program.

Do you have TeaTime running in real time? I used to have, and I loved it, but it was taking 70MB of my RAM, which is completely unreasonable.

I run Spyware Terminator in the background and MBAM and SuperAntiSpyware on demand. Cost = $0.

Yes I need real time protection on the background. How much MB RAM does spywareterminator take?

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 05:15 PM

I do not have Tea Timer running as I figured it would slow my system down as well as possibly interfere with changes I wanted to make. I have not found that the SD Helper, which is in the same section as Tea Timer, slows my system or interferes with anything I want to do.

#6 patbox

patbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 05:26 PM

I do not have Tea Timer running as I figured it would slow my system down as well as possibly interfere with changes I wanted to make. I have not found that the SD Helper, which is in the same section as Tea Timer, slows my system or interferes with anything I want to do.

Once your computer gets attacked by a malware, it will try to make as many changes as possible. This is when Tea Timer really helps. It will notify you of any change. So I really liked it.

Even Google applications make all kind of spyware attacks on you. Tea Timer always discovered this. Once you install any google Application it will silently put a Google Updater to your start up and services and slow down your system. Tea Timer can detect this and notify you.

But the resources Tea Timer takes are so huge, that I decided to uninstall it. There is also Windows Defender, but that is sort of crappy. I never really liked the interface, although it has some great functions.

#7 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 05:46 PM

Yea, I know Tea Timer has a lot of benefits but I still do not want to run it, mostly for the same reasons you quit using it. Just about any program one installs wants to make itself load on startup and sometimes programs try to load themselves in there even long after it was installed, Quicktime being the biggest offender of that for me. I do not even use the program but Zonealarm pops up quite often telling me Quicktime is trying to add a startup entry. I use Spybot to keep a tight watch on my startup programs and scan often for malware.

#8 patbox

patbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:09 PM

Yea, I know Tea Timer has a lot of benefits but I still do not want to run it, mostly for the same reasons you quit using it. Just about any program one installs wants to make itself load on startup and sometimes programs try to load themselves in there even long after it was installed, Quicktime being the biggest offender of that for me. I do not even use the program but Zonealarm pops up quite often telling me Quicktime is trying to add a startup entry. I use Spybot to keep a tight watch on my startup programs and scan often for malware.

Oh, but you have Zonealarm! How is zonealarm different to teatimer if it also pops up and blocks changes?

What exactly does Zonealarm do. I have Windows Firewall, so do I need Zonealarm?

#9 FiOS Dan

FiOS Dan

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:17 PM

What exactly does Zonealarm do. I have Windows Firewall, so do I need Zonealarm?

You do not need to run ZA and the Windows firewall. Personally, I would disable the Windows one and run ZA because ZA monitors outbound traffic while Windows only looks at inbound.
Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway.

#10 patbox

patbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:20 PM

You do not need to run ZA and the Windows firewall. Personally, I would disable the Windows one and run ZA because ZA monitors outbound traffic while Windows only looks at inbound.

Why would I need to look on outbound traffic? I mean I know what I am sending out, in general. Maybe spyware would use this for outbound.

So if my windows firewall, says that e.g. MSN is not allowed, it means that MSN can still get out, but not in?

#11 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:32 PM

Zonealarm is my anitvirus/firewall program. It differs from Window firewall by keeping programs from making outbound connection from my system and Windows firewall does not do that. It also differs from it because it has an operating system firewall that will not let things make changes to my system that I do not give permission to and I do not think the windows firewall has that.

The operating system firewall is part of the ZA firewall and it that blocks most things that want to make changes to my system. It will pop up with an alert if something that has not been given permission to access my system files is trying to access system files and start up menu and probably other things too. If I install a program, ZA will pop up and ask me if I want to let that program do its thing and if I run something like SuperAntiSpyware, which accesses system files and registry, it will pop up and ask me if I want it to have that access. I can also tell it to remember the setting so that in the future when I run that program it won't ask me about it. It also lets me enable an internet lock, which makes it so programs that I have not given the ability to bypass the lock cannot access the internet. That makes it so that the windows programs, the ones I cannot set to not be able to access the internet, cannot access the internet. Many windows programs do that and it is not recommened that you change the settings stopping them from doing so but since I do not want them to do that, I just do not let them bypass the lock which I have set to be enabled one minute after my system loads. The only programs I let bypass the lock are IE, AOL, and the protection programs that I want to be able to update.

Edited by Stang777, 07 March 2009 - 08:47 PM.

#12 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:37 PM

Why would I need to look on outbound traffic? I mean I know what I am sending out, in general. Maybe spyware would use this for outbound.

So if my windows firewall, says that e.g. MSN is not allowed, it means that MSN can still get out, but not in?

Sorry, but no, you do not know what you are sending out. Without your knowledge spyware can send info out of your system if you do not have an outbound firewall. Also, even though it is harmless, some windows programs often make outboud connection that they do not need to make.

And yes, even though you have Windows firewall set to not allow MSN, it can still make a connection out.

Edited by Stang777, 07 March 2009 - 08:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users