Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB port issue

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 causio08

causio08

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:19 PM

Hello and it's been long time since I have used this site which is good:

I have been able to charge my kids ipods by connecting the charging cord into the front usb ports of my PC. This is done overnight when the PC is off. The Ipod shows a gray battery that has a lighting bolt in the middle, which told me that it is charging.

Two days ago, the ipod refused to charge. No sign of life. So. I looked at the device manager and double clicked on the USB enhanced Host controller to see if there was anything out of the ordinary.
The driver seemed ok to me until I clicked on the " driver detail " button : It shows a "klfltdev.sys" as the active driver on the first line and all of the windows usb drivers below it. As you highlight the drivers, they are all Microsoft digital signed. however when you close the box and check again, the .sys item is still first in line. That is true for all the universal host controllers and the root hubs as well.

So I looked at the Windows\system32\drivers folder to look for this item. I found it and when you pause the mouse over it it reads:
KLFLTDEV PnP device filter
company: Karsperski Lab
file: 8.0.0.17
date created:3-13-08 6:02pm
size 26.0 kb.

In January of 2009 I removed an earlier version of Karsperski to install their new KIS 2009. So I assume that this is an old file from that version.

What would happen if I delete/remove this particular item from the Drivers folder? Would it impact my ability to use the USBs? Are USB ports supposed to be "powered " even though the PC is off. I am quite confused by all this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:13 PM

I'm not very familiar with Kaspersky, but there has been a rash of infections as of late using Autorun for the USB devices.
Check Kaspersky's settings for anything that may refer to that. It might think that a virus is trying to load
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 causio08

causio08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:37 PM

Hello garmanma,
I am not sure what you mean by " using Autorun for USB devices."
I checked out the Kaspersky setttings and didn't see anything referring to Autorun.
There are settings for the Auto database updates but not for USB .

So, what you are saying is that Kaspersky thinks that the Ipod is a virus trying to load?
Do you think that maybe this thing is interfering with the Kaspersky Internet Security 2009, since it was leftover from the previous version ?

thanks for responding...I also thought that I may have to uninstall the USB controllers and see if this thing goes away or reload the drivers that are on the setup disc that came with my motherboard.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:55 PM

Give this a look:
http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?act=P...=16&t=65144

Do you think that maybe this thing is interfering with the Kaspersky Internet Security 2009, since it was leftover from the previous version

Here is the definition of a filter driver:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filter_driver
It should be OK to remove
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 causio08

causio08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:10 PM

Hello Garmanma,

I checked out the link you posted and I am not sure if it's something that I would attempt on my own. Messing with registry can be devastating...I am still not sure how the antivirus got to load itself onto my Microsoft USB drivers.

I am thinking of uninstalling the host controller and subsequent universal host controllers with the root hubs and see if they re install themselves without the KIS device filter.

any thought or suggestions to this regard?

thanks

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:34 PM

Sure, give it a shot
Mark
Posted Image

#7 causio08

causio08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 05:47 PM

Did the uninstall of usb hubs and the KIS issue is still there.

I want to thank you for taking the time to respond to my inquiries. :thumbsup:

I am not sure what to do next. The flash drives are "seen", however I cannot charge the ipod.

I will search the Apple forum for a similar issue if anyone has it.

again thank you

#8 causio08

causio08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 01:18 PM

So, I haven't found any answers to this issue.
I have read where KAVremover is used, only to read that the USB hubs stopped working altogether.

I now get a BSOD with a mcstrm error 7000 where the file cannot be found and a netevent.dll error as well. This usually happens when streaming video from Hulu. I thought that it might be my Geforce FX5500 (256Mb agp ) card's drivers. I have the latest installed for my Dell lcd monitor.There is video stutter.
the mcstrm error is for Rhapsody which I don't have but I think it might have gotten in by an LG phone charging driver which included Rahpsody. I will check and look for anything with "real" in it.

So the hits just keep on coming. I am hopeful to be able to fix these issues

#9 causio08

causio08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:21 PM

Hello, I still haven't found an answer to the Kasperski issue.
I think I figured out the BSOD/mcstrm error. I found a folder named " Real "with RealNetworks files in it which I think are part of the Rhapsody family. I deleted that folder and I am hopeful that this will fix it. I was streaming video this morning for like an hour and nothing happened. I will check the event viewer later today and see if there are any new entries. So unless someone can shed some light into the Kasperski issue, I think we can close this...I can't think of anything else to try.

thanks to garmanma for all the insights. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users