Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless reception---how do I improve it?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 taly

taly

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:12 PM

Is there anything to improve a laptop's reception? My boss' house is very large. I don't dare think about asking this psycho-anal person to move the router or its antenna even a millimeter.

Is there anything I can do to the laptop?

Just curious for future application: Would changing router antennae improve reception?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:35 PM

Changing it, maybe. Depending on what type of Router it is (Normal, G Speed, N Speed), adding an antenna may help. What connection does your laptop support? Is it a 802.11b/g/n? Or just b/g?
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#3 taly

taly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:54 PM

Oh no, there must be absolutely NO CHANGE to the current router, its components, or position. My boss' demeanor would be hellish for weeks, at the mere suggestion. It usually is, actually, but I prefer when it's directed at others. I do my best to stay in good favor.

No, my only options are those I might make to my laptop. It's b/g.

#4 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:59 PM

Is there anything to improve a laptop's reception? My boss' house is very large. I don't dare think about asking this psycho-anal person to move the router or its antenna even a millimeter.

Is there anything I can do to the laptop?

Just curious for future application: Would changing router antennae improve reception?

Yeah you can get a hardware that is strengthening the signal. You just pug it into a power point, and it will improve the signal around it. Like as if it was a new router.

There is no software or something for this. You just need hardware solutions.

The most funny solution for this is to get a USB wireless adapter (that you would normally plug to your USB drive). Then you get an USB extension cable (a long one). Plug the extension cable to your computer on one side, while you put the other side of the extension cable closer to the router (area with better signal), then you pug the USB wireless adapter to the extension cable :-D

Edited by patbox, 07 March 2009 - 05:00 PM.

Message from Patbox: I AM LOOKING FOR A GIRLFRIEND (PM if interested) :-)

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,528 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 06:45 PM

Something like this: Hawking’s Sumpreme Wi-Fi Range Extender

I have no personal experience with this specific device, nor endorse it. But know people who have used versions of them to varying degrees of success. I show this only as an example of what could potentially work for you in this situation.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 taly

taly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:11 PM

Merci, tout le monde. I just ordered a Belkin USB adapter. I just need a little improvement.

If that's not enough, I'll check out the Hawking's.

#7 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:18 PM

Merci, tout le monde. I just ordered a Belkin USB adapter. I just need a little improvement.

If that's not enough, I'll check out the Hawking's.

I know Merci is a set of chocolate bars :-) And what does tout le monde mean? ...

Btw. please do post back how you will solve it.

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,528 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:25 PM

For the record: Merci, tout le monde. Means, Thank you, everyone.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:54 PM

For the record: Merci, tout le monde. Means, Thank you, everyone.

Merci beaucoup !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users