Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

internet explorer has encountered a problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tossell

tossell

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:02 PM

Hi, this is my first time to post a question. I have iqon computer with windows xp home and norton security (symentec).
2 days ago, I kept getting a message about having a critical error with norton security and it couldnt be corrected. Anyway, the problem said Trojan.Brisv.A was causing me a critical error. I followed the instructions on the screen to get rid of this problem. (Trojan.Brisv.A Removal Tool 2.1.0.5) I havent got a clue what this all means just followed instruction. Anyway, successfully deleted problem and then had to follow rebooting in safe/normal mode. Since then everytime I try to do something on my computer, message keeps coming up "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and need to close" continuously comes up. Ive looked at error message and it says error signature Appname: iexlore.exe Appver 7.0.6000.16791. Has anyone got any clue what I can do to clear this problem because Im going crazy here!!!!!!
Thanking you in advance. Julie :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:42 PM

Depending upon which service pack you have installed you may be able to repair IE7 through the control panel>add/remove programs. If you have SP3 installed you will not have this option. I might also recommend that you try a different browser like FireFox and see if the problem persists.
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:53 PM

Hi, this is my first time to post a question. I have iqon computer with windows xp home and norton security (symentec).
2 days ago, I kept getting a message about having a critical error with norton security and it couldnt be corrected. Anyway, the problem said Trojan.Brisv.A was causing me a critical error. I followed the instructions on the screen to get rid of this problem. (Trojan.Brisv.A Removal Tool 2.1.0.5) I havent got a clue what this all means just followed instruction. Anyway, successfully deleted problem and then had to follow rebooting in safe/normal mode. Since then everytime I try to do something on my computer, message keeps coming up "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and need to close" continuously comes up. Ive looked at error message and it says error signature Appname: iexlore.exe Appver 7.0.6000.16791. Has anyone got any clue what I can do to clear this problem because Im going crazy here!!!!!!
Thanking you in advance. Julie :thumbsup:

There is still a high chance that you got a malware spyware programe on your computer. Did you use some anti-malware software to check it? (If did not get any software of that type, first thing you could do is to go to Start/Run and type mrt).

With regard to your browser, try to install firefox or opera for the time being. Then you could try to reinstall IE or stick to firefox or opera. You could also do with google chrome.

But first of all I would try to make sure you do no have any spyware/malware on your PC.
Message from Patbox: I AM LOOKING FOR A GIRLFRIEND (PM if interested) :-)

#4 tossell

tossell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 06:03 PM

Thank you very much for your replies. I dont know what firefox/opera is or malware. Really am computer illiterate Im afraid. The advise for the control panel add/remove programmes, which programme should I remove. How do you install firefox/opera? best regards Julie

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,118 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 06:07 PM

FWIW:

How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=318378

Repair Internet Explorer - http://www.updatexp.com/repair-internet-explorer.html

That version number for IE...doesn't look right. My current version reads 7.0.5730.13, which matches what Wiki says is the XP version most recently issued.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer_7

Being the character that I am, I would probably assume infection of some type and post at BleepingComputer.com - Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/ , just to be on the safe side.

Louis

#6 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 06:47 PM

OPERA and FIREFOX are internet browsers (just like Internet Explorer, but different company):

You can download OPERA under www.opera.com

or Firefox under http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Now instead of using Internet Explorer you could use those.

---

Malware is a bad program on your computer. To check if you got some, you simply go to Start/Run and type mrt

A windows anti malware (anti bad program) utility willl pop up and you click next to scan your PC.

I would do this check even before you startt playing with Internet Explorer settings.

---
Message from Patbox: I AM LOOKING FOR A GIRLFRIEND (PM if interested) :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users