Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer 7 Goes Not Responding For 5-15 Seconds When Navigating to a New Page

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Lunais

Lunais

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 03:20 PM

About 80% of the time, whenever I go from one page to another page using Internet Explorer 7, the program will become Not Responding for roughly 5-15 seconds, during which time I am unable to switch to other tabs or interact with the program in any way. The "Not Responding" only actually appears in the title bar if I click the page while it is nonresponsive. This problem also appears when using the back and forward buttons, and when clicking a link that navigates to a different part of the same page, such as the Content links at the tops of wikipedia articles. Using Open in New Tab or Open in New Window does not prevent it from happening. If I have a youtube video running in another tab when this problem occurs, the video will stop playing for the duration of the nonresponsive period. The page itself doesn't seem to have any effect on when the problem occurs. It can happen once going to a particular page and then work fine the next time I go to that page.

Very rarely (twice, so far), this problem occurs in windows explorer, and once happened in Add&Remove programs when I clicked the "remove" button on a program while cleaning up my computer (The program was Broadcom Management Programs, which was removed without incident).

I have had the problem for a very long time now, only recently did it begin to annoy me enough to post this here. It started up somewhere around the time I updated my Spybot Search and Destroy program (after using it for like a year without bothering to update it), but I have long since removed it and switched to AVG Free, however the problem still persists.

This is a screenshot of my processes currently. (Nicholas is me, last name omitted)

Posted Image

My CPU is Intel® Celeron® CPU 2.40GHz. I don't know exactly how much RAM I have, but it's not terribly high. I never changed any of the hardware in my computer before or after the problem surfaced, however, so I don't think that it is the culprit.

Edited by Lunais, 07 March 2009 - 04:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:58 PM

Have you tried cleaning up all the temporary files? Both IE and Windows?

#3 Lunais

Lunais
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:20 AM

Yes, didn't fix it.

Edited by Lunais, 08 March 2009 - 12:21 AM.

#4 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:19 AM

Find My Computer either on desktop or from the start menu. In system tasks click view system information. System properties window will open click general tab there you will how much RAM is installed. 512 is the min on some systems. Mine was so I installed more and all my speeds picked up.

#5 Lunais

Lunais
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 01:18 PM

I have 512 MB, just like I did back before this problem started. My computer's speed is fine except for the brief window of time as mentioned.

#6 JJ2K

JJ2K

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:57 PM

It's nothing to do with the RAM. I used to have a similar problem before I re-installed Windows, the computer would freeze up whenever I opened Firefox or cleaned the Firefox cache. Same thing music would stop the whole computer would freeze up, for about 30 seconds.
I never found the solution, as I ended up re-installing Windows due to another problem a few weeks later.

You're list of running process looks fine, meaning nothing dodgy to me.

I have limited knowledge, but did you try opening IE 7 without Add-Ons? Try doing this and see if the problem still occurs. To start IE without Add-Ons, navigate to Start > All Programs > Internet Explorer > Internet Explorer (No Addons), or right-click the IE icon on your desktop and click Start without Add ons.

If this does not help, I think the problem may be an infection, so then do a scan using Super Anti Spyware or SpyBot Search and Destroy, and Malware Bytes Anti Malware not just AVG.

Also I would reccomend one uses Firefox as their default browser.

#7 Lunais

Lunais
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 07:35 PM

Running IE without add-ons seemed to fix the problem. I'm not exactly sure what add-ons are or how they work, so how would I go about isolating exactly which add-on it is?

#8 JJ2K

JJ2K

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 07:55 PM

OK nice at least that's some progress.

Addons are sort of exstensions to the browser, third party applications. The most common addons for IE are usually toolbars, which really have no use in most circumstances.

To see if you have any add-ons installed, click the "Tools" button in IE and hover over to "Manage Addons" and see if there are any present. Then you could disable them 1 by 1 or enable them 1 by 1 and see which is the culprit.

#9 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:33 PM

Work gets in the way of life.

I still think you are maxed out on your RAM. Almost 80% of RAM is used up in your processes leaving very little for the apps running in the background. Once the computer starts using the HDD as ram everything slows down.

#10 JJ2K

JJ2K

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:47 PM

Work gets in the way of life.

I still think you are maxed out on your RAM. Almost 80% of RAM is used up in your processes leaving very little for the apps running in the background. Once the computer starts using the HDD as ram everything slows down.

I think the only reason the RAM is being used up is due to the problem in iexplore, which freezes up the whole PC because it starts using up all of the memory, otherwise XP on 512mb RAM shouldn't have any major problems. I have a 512mb dekstop and it runs pretty smooth, but I understand it is rather outdated now, and 2GB/4GB/8GB is the real deal (especially if you have Vista).

#11 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:59 PM

I'm running XP MCE 2005 had 512 in it when I bought it. Worked great for a few months maybe 6 then IE7 and some other programs would load slowly change between pages slowly save info slowly. A friend who works in tech suggested uping the RAM so I did 2GB and after that everything worked great and that is almost 3 years ago.

Time for bed here. Bye

we'll chat again.

#12 JJ2K

JJ2K

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:58 PM

I'm running XP MCE 2005 had 512 in it when I bought it. Worked great for a few months maybe 6 then IE7 and some other programs would load slowly change between pages slowly save info slowly. A friend who works in tech suggested uping the RAM so I did 2GB and after that everything worked great and that is almost 3 years ago.

Time for bed here. Bye

we'll chat again.

I can understand, I guess the MCE version would use up more RAM also. It's just from my experiences 512 RAM has held it's own for me when using XP. I've even gotten away with using Adobe CS4 on here, when it reccomends 2GB RAM! Without any real notable slowness either. Although no doubt the more RAM the speedier things will be. However things on my 512 aren't noticably slow from my point of view.
Hopefully i'll be pleasantly surprised when I buy a new PC and i'll be wondering what i was doing sticking around with 512 for so long !

#13 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:19 PM

Back to Lunais problem. Is your security turning anything up in it'ss scans?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users