Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

same system, different box...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tha7!

Tha7!

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 03:02 PM

i got a 939 dual sata mobo given to me so i took an asus a7n8x out of the old box to fit the new board in...in the new box with everything the same (and still plenty of room) the thing is now making high pitched whirring sounds any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 03:42 PM

Open the case & inspect the fans to see if a wire is touching a fan blade.
With the case open start the computer & see if you can determine where the noise is coming from.
If you have a video card installed that has a fan make sure to check it also.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 03:59 PM

The fan controller on the motherboard might be running the fans faster then the old ones to, do you have software to control fan speeds or is there a way to do it in your bios? if so, and theres no wires touching the fans anywhere, try bumping the fan speeds down one by one, (not off just turn them down) and see if that does the trick.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 Tha7!

Tha7!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 03:59 PM

case is already open cuz i just finished putting it back together and was just doin' a test run...there's no wires touching fans, the video card doesn't have one...it's REALLY tough to tell where it's coming from but i know it's not the processor fan (stopping it didn't stop the noise) i think it might be the power supply, maybe now that it's right over the processor in an old atx case...but other than that this has me stumped...ALSO, the CPU was registering as a 1500+ instead of a 2100+, and it's done it in the past too, not for a year at least tho (i know that with the variable frequencies alot of AMD K7 chips will have this happen) the part that worries me is that the heat sink was only on for 4-5 mins TOPS (long enough to check bios, cpu was set to 100mhz external for some weird ass reason as i know it was at 133 earlier this morning, and then to boot up to xp and the heatsink was abnormally hot, i took a gig of ram out and still the same thing...it had been running at 2 gigs (i think it only is capable of using 1500mb tho) flawlessly and cool for the last 2 or 3 months since i brought it back to life...i'm not sure exactly how to go about figuring this out, thanks for any input

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:04 PM

like I said try turning the fan speeds down one by one, perhaps swap out a different power supply. if it is the power supply fan, believe it or not those are replaceable, some are harder then others. some have connectors to do it, others you have to just splice the old fan wires to the new one, but be careful when you do, power supplies bite back, and you can get a nasty shock out of, so when you take the PSU apart, make sure you touch nothing but the fan inside of it. In fact prolly be safest to just swap out a different PSU if u have one. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:06 PM

You remembered the thermal compound, correct?
You might want to remove the CPU and look closely at the bottom for burn marks
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 Tha7!

Tha7!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:26 AM

i just pulled the processor out the other day to make sure it was in good shape before going through the work of moving boxes, i swapped power supplies from a 365 to a 450 and no difference...it may have to do with the harmonics of the box i guess, but for listening to the same 7 fans for the last 6 years i think i know what the processor would sound like, and it doesn't sound right for sure...i did put the thermal compound...i the cpu was getting ridiculously hot still, the noise was extremely variant over a course of only 3-4 mins and the unit being way too hot...i am also putting together an ASrock dualsata2 in the box that the other board came out of and swapped around some parts from the 3 computers sitting here that aren't being used, i cannot get the damn thing to boot to the 160g sata drive, i know there's a problem with the ide controllers, at least the primary one, it just tortures whatever cd/dvd unit is hooked up to it like it's possessed just going nuts randomly opening and closing and never having the light go off at all...i've been working on different combinations trying to figure out the two situations for the last what 12 hours lol and i have yet to find any problems with any of the video cards, psu's, media drives, anything....they all work somewhere else...and i have 3 other lower watt psus (2x235) (265) and they all work too, i wasn't sure if i should even try it in the other board...also the sata hard drive will somewhat respond, albeit very very inconsistent, and rare at that, when i had it in the same unit as an nvidia quadro4 fx, which was weird too because the fan on that gpu is loose or something i'm not sure how to fix it cuz it has too much play and doesn't spin straight

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users