Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

weird almost shutdown maybe lol

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:57 PM

The girlfriend said it happened to her before, while she was playing WoW. Just now it happened to me.

Was playing the game, had firefox open to a presumably safe website. and the monitor went blank, which would scream to me video card/monitor problem. but the keyboard and mouse died at the same time. Well at least i know the keyboard did because its a G15 and the LCD went blank. Obviously a cntrl alt del wouldn't work, so i tried the power button. pressed, then pressed and held which according to the option in windows will shut it down. No go. had to flip the power switch on the PSU. Fans and everything were still going while it was "on" maybe a bad/shorted Mobo?

This is the rig, subtract the extra parts of course. it has 4g ram and obviously one case and cpu :thumbsup:
CASE ANTEC|NINE HUNDRED BK RT
MB ASUS M3A78-CM AM2+ 780V/SB700 RT
CPU AMD|A64 X2 6400 3.2G AM2 2M R
MEM 2Gx2|KST KHX8500D2T1K2/4GR R Kingston
HD 160G|ST 7K 8M ATA100 ST3160815A Seagate
CPU THERMPASTE|AS5-3.5G %
VID MSI 8600GT 256 MB GDDR2
420W Thermaltake PSU

I have basically the same rig in my computer except for the HD and vid card, so part swapping to Troubleshoot wouldn't be a problem, except for the fact that it happens extremely rarely.

When i got back into windows i checked speedfan first. temps seemed fine, forgot to do it in BIOS.. Event Viewer showed nothing. Another thing that may or may not be related, the front microphone jack on the computer doesn't work anymore, it did, but doesn't now, I havent gotten around to taking it apart to see if it came unplugged. The headphone jack works, the USB ports work but the mic doesn't. mic in the back does but not the front. Unfortunately my RMA period just wore out like 5 days ago so to replace something i need a really good idea what it is.

As always any help you can give will be much appreciated.

Edited by smurfgod, 07 March 2009 - 02:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:00 PM

you have a different video card to swap out with? or integrated? if so try getting it to repeat with either the integrated card or another one.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 smurfgod

smurfgod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:43 AM

Update: her computer, the one with the MSI vid card in it did this same weird "shutdown" thing a couple more times then the PSU gave out. When i replaced the PSU I went and swapped her MSI for my EVGA card. Also connected the headset keyboard and mouse to the back panel instead of the top of the case in case a wire was crossed in the front panel.

Yesterday my computer with her MSI card did the "shutdown" had to power down with the PSU killswitch (I/O) When i tried to power back up my PSU was dead. So my thought was somehow the copper from the fan on the video card was shorting to the first PCI slot, so i replaced the PSU and took the MSI card out and ordered another vid card from newegg.

Today, I was wrong. her computer just did the "shutdown" and i'm totally lost.

I know i did the standoffs right, i know there has to be a short somewhere but i have no idea how to find it. help me please lol

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:27 AM

A quick summary,

Unit A was having a random semi-shutdown problem.
You took the video card out of Unit A & put it in Unit B
Unit B developed the same problem with the same results.

Obviously the video card has failed & is causing the issue.
One part of the issue appears to be that the video card damages motherboards.

Strip one of the units down to the bare neccessities to make it work & see if it does the same thing.
If it does & you happen to have a spare stick of memory that hasn't been on either since the problem started try it on the stripped down unit.

If you still have the problem it is obvious that the motherboard, CPU, or both has been damaged.
The only way to find out which is to try swapping a known good component for one or the other.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users