Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I Bother with SpywareBlaster

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 JJ2K

JJ2K

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:53 PM

Hi,

I've recently just completed a fresh install of XP, and only want to install what's needed.

What's your opinion on Spyware Blaster? Do you personally use it, is it vital towards adequate protection?

From my angle, I use the web on a daily basis and google around a lot so I end up clicking onto a load of different sites. Although I don't search into the areas where viruses are most common e.g adult sites/ cracks / anything illegal.

I've used it before but i'm not experienced enough to know how effective it actually is and whether it is of any use.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FiOS Dan

FiOS Dan

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 03:56 PM

SB is highly regarded and used by many experienced forum members. It uses no resources so there is no downside at all.
Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway.

#3 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 06:27 PM

Hello.

I agree SB is recommended. It does not use any resources. Many infections gets installed via the internet via ActiveX. Some ActiveX may be legit but some may not and this is what SB does. It safe guards and protects you from known "bad" domains and make it more difficult for the ActiveX to run on your computer.

So, yes you should install it. :thumbsup:

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#4 JJ2K

JJ2K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:31 AM

Thanks so install it is!

OK how is this sounding for my fresh system:

> COMMODO - King of the Firewalls!
> SB - As discussed in this topic
> SuperAntiSpyware, MalwareBytes Anti-Malware and Ad-Aware SE - For Scanning Computer no Real-Time protection AFAIK!

And that's it! Any other Freeware out there that is a must for my system based on my internet usage. I want to keep it smooth running so trying to limit what I install.

Would you reccommend all 3 of my scanning programs?

#5 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:02 AM

Well.. Your running 4 different Anti-Malware softwares, yet I see no Anti-Viruses...

Your Malwares may fight with each other, I know SAS and MBAM both are non-real-times, so I hope you won't get those two tangled..
I'd suggest downloading an Anti-Virus, I'd recommend Avast or Avira Anti-Virus.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#6 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:59 AM

I suggest that you don't install Ad-Aware SE. MBAM and SAS will be enough. I also suggest that you install WOT (link in my signature) so you'll know how safe a site is.

#7 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 11:03 AM

Remember to update SpywareBlaster every week so that you have an up-to-date database of known bad ActiveX's.

#8 JJ2K

JJ2K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:25 PM

Thanks for the replies,

I thought COMMODO was anti-virus. On their site the main headline is:
"FREE FIREWALL + ANTIVIRUS SUITE BY COMODO!"

Is it recommended to have another Anti Virus on top of this?

I will update SpywareBlaster weekly, is it correct that after install I see no trace in running process or icon in taskbar.
Also in relation to Active X, I notice it blocks Active X + Cookies for IE, but just Cookies for FireFox. I primarly use Firefox, but i'm assuming this is because Firefox is auto protected against bad Active X scripts and therefore SB doesn't need to add protection for this browser?

I will leave Ad-Aware SE then, if MBAM and SAS is adequate and will look into WOT.

Thanks.

#9 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:40 PM

If you're planning to install the Internet Suite then you won't need another antivirus. For SpywareBlaster, remember to enable all protection (until the shield icon becomes a checkmark).

#10 FiOS Dan

FiOS Dan

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:43 PM

Exactly which Comodo product are you running - the stand-alone firewall or a combination of some sort?

You will see no trace of SB in running processes or an icon in the systray.

Firefox does not use ActiveX.
Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway.

#11 JJ2K

JJ2K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:01 PM

Thanks for the heads up on SB and ActiveX.

Well none at the moment, but i've just visited their site and it states that it has a Firewall and AntiVirus.

Check here for more information: Commodo

It states you can install them as stand-alone (one or the other) or together. I would obviously choose to install both.

I was just waiting for a heads up before I went ahead and installed it.

Edited by JJ2K, 08 March 2009 - 02:03 PM.

#12 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:02 PM

Well, the Comodo AV is kind of new, so I'd try something else before I go with the comodo Set. I installed the Firewall Standalone.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#13 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 03:23 PM

Hello.

I'll add something in here, regarding their FW standalone and AV.

I installed the Firewall Standalone.

Comodo NO LONGER allow you to download the Firewall Standalone anymore. You need to download that AV+FW package but during the installation you will need to choose to only install the Firewall not the AV if you only want the FW.

Just want to avoid any confusion. :thumbsup:

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#14 JJ2K

JJ2K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 03:38 PM

Yes this is true. So now what would you do?

1. Install both Commodo AV and FW.
2. Just install Commodo FW and get a different AV program (suggest)
3. Install both Commodo AV and FW and another AV program.

I'm kind of leaning towards just installing both Commodo FW and AV so my total protection would be:

SB, SAS, MBAM and COMMODO

- With updating SB weekly, and running SAS, MBAM, COMMODO scans bi-monthly.

How does that sound?

#15 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:34 PM

You should scan at least every week. That's what I do.

Scrap this option:

Install both Commodo AV and FW and another AV program

You should only have one real-time AV installed at any time. Having two real-time AV's will cause problems and false positives. So if you're going for the AV+FW package, then you should only have that real-time AV.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users