Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new computer/windows. can't install anything!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 gguymi

gguymi

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:46 PM

hey everyone.
I just bought a new computer and I have a very strange problem.
I installed windows xp pro sp3, it all went fine.
I downloaded firefox and it went fine, installed it.
almost anything else that I download doesn't work. every time it says something like:
1. file is corrupted.
2. can't find the file "whatever" in c:\whatever\...etc, check if you have access permission....
3. it start loading the exe (setup file) and nothing happens.

it happens to most of the files I got. some are downloaded (like free antivirus softwares) and some are not.
I do have permission (logged as an admin), the computer and hard disk are new (formatted hard disk)...
Am doing new windows install maybe it'll help.

I thought maybe it has something to do with the hard disk connected with sata 2, but configured in bios as IDE channel.
the only other choice I've got is ACHI/Raid. when I tried ACHI windows won't load.

please help!

thank you very much.
btw if it matters. spec are intel core 2 duo, 2 gb memory. 80gb free space on hard disk.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 03:48 PM

With the problems you mentioned, I must ask...is this a legal version of XP, with valid license/key?

If so, I would run a manufacturer's diagnostic on that hard drive...new or not.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Since you indicate that you just bought it...it might be time to contact whomever sold it to you.

If it were me, I would also run a diagnostic on the RAM installed.

MemTest Manual - http://hcidesign.com/memtest/manual.html

Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic - http://www.memtest86.com/

Louis

#3 Bernie K.

Bernie K.

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:06 PM

I'm not questioning the advice given by hamluis but before going through it all, try using another browser. I had very similar problems when using FireFox 3, i.e., downloaded files being corrupt, setup files freezing, etc.

I would use another browser such as IE, Maxthon2, or Google Chrome and everything worked file. It appears that FF doesn't play well in all cases.
Freedom is not FREE
Semper Fi

#4 gguymi

gguymi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 11:09 AM

thx for the responds..

Its not the browser, i used IE as well as firefox. also, it happened with other programs like cds.

the windows is legal and I tried it on another computer to make sure it works. It worked.
the hard disk isn't new but I'm quite sure its not the problem. it seems like a registry problem maybe, if it makes any sense.or as if some core files are missing although I repaired windows.

I ran the RAM check though, the microsoft one. worked fine, no errors.

any thoughts? thank you very much, I'm really frustrated!:thumbsup:

Edit: oh and, someone on another forum suggested to a guy with a similar problem to install the new windows installer because maybe mine is old/damaged. sound logical, so I downloaded
the windows installer v2 (I'm not even sure it supports sp3) but again, it won't install- "update.exe" is not valid win32 app". what do you think?

Edited by gguymi, 08 March 2009 - 11:38 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 03:12 PM

This is the link for the latest installer that I am aware of: Download details Windows Installer 4.5 - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en

If you like, you can also try this, Windows Installer Utility - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;290301

Louis

#6 gguymi

gguymi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:47 PM

same thing with the new installer installation. thx again..

#7 JJ2K

JJ2K

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:20 PM

From my limited experience:

- Try downloading the file to your dekstop rather than somewhere in the drive, and then running it from there.
- Also make sure you have the latest windows updates installed.

#8 gguymi

gguymi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:54 PM

tried installing from desktop, main hard disk and alternate one, same problem.
I figured I also have windows update problem although maybe its not connected to each other. I ran wgadiag2 btw, and it confirmed the legal copy.

something I've noticed:
when the update.exe is illegal win32 application problem pop up, it seems that the extraction for the install is made on my e:/ hard disk.
but this disk is 100% clean, formatted! the windows and other things are currently installed on the c:/ drive.
should a windows installer temp extraction be made on the main windows hard disk? maybe thats why it doesn't find or get an approval by the win32 file?
lol am I talking nonsense?

something is just wrong with my computer! maybe I should reinstall with only 1 hard disk. I just don't know what to do.

#9 gguymi

gguymi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:33 AM

anyone?:thumbsup:

#10 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,823 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:21 AM

If so, I would run a manufacturer's diagnostic on that hard drive...new or not.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Since you mentioned the hard drive is not new, did you do a diagnostic? You can also try Winodws own disk check in XP with surface control.
Maybe you should do some viruschecking, just in case,

Good luck!

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#11 gguymi

gguymi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:07 PM

still nothing:( searched for viruses, diagnotsted the hard disk.
damn...

#12 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,823 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:25 PM

something is just wrong with my computer! maybe I should reinstall with only 1 hard disk. I just don't know what to do.

If you have done just a clean install, you could try this. How big is your hard disk?

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users