Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstall XP on HP-A730N without original XP disc posible?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 sasquatch98226

sasquatch98226

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:24 PM

I have a HP A730n that I was using in the garage to stream radio, and look up "how-to-fix" stuff on sites while fixing stuff in the garage.

Anyway it died, and the HDD had to be re-formatted. I tried everything restore it before re-formatting. So after it died since I did not have the restore discs that came it with (hand me down computer from in-laws) I used the XP Home disc that I had with our other computer to boot from.

I booted up, and did the "full-format" of the drive to wipe everything, including the restore points that were useless in the HP restore partitition. I got it all formatted, and then went to install XP from the disc that I used to boot from.

It started to install and then asked me for the cd-key. I typed in the product key that was on the side of the computer, but it says the key is incorrect. I assume if I type in the key from the disc I have it will tell me that key has already been registered before. Do I have any choices, or am I now stuck with a 20lb paperweight unless I buy a new OS?

Thanks for any help

Edited by sasquatch98226, 07 March 2009 - 02:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:42 PM

Not sure on the product key issue but HP shipped me the recovery CD's for free when I purchased the machine at my request. I believe they shipped mine for free since it was a new machine but I remember they sold them for a very reasonable amount at the time. As one option that would include all the drivers for the original machine you may want to contact HP.

#3 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:50 PM

Unfortunately for you, the answer is you will need to purchase a new XP CD. The one that you used to re-install XP has already been installed on another computer (liscense key will be valid on that computer only) you have tried to install using the key that was on the side of the laptop which doesn't match the CD that you are using...That will not legally work...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:56 PM

Justa makes a valid point...Go to HP's website and you can probably order recovery discs for the exact make and model for a small fee which will get you going with no problems...

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 03:11 PM

Since the code on the computer came from an oem version of XP then that is probably why it won't work with the disk you installed so you probably will need to get the disks for it from HP. Have you asked you in-laws if they have the disks that came with the computer?

The only way you could legally use the product key for the disk you just installed XP from is if you are no longer using the computer you originally put it on and have taken it off of that computer. Then you could call Microsoft and explain that to them and get it validated.

As to buying a new XP disk, I have been told that as of Jan. 31 of this year those were no longer sold. When I heard that was going to happen, I went out and bought one, was glad I did because after that date, someone here said that they had to ship all remaining copies of XP they had for sale back to Micorsoft, so I figure that Microsoft was firm on stopping XP from being sold.

Good luck

Edited by Stang777, 07 March 2009 - 04:49 PM.

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 03:21 PM

Unfortunately for you, the answer is you will need to purchase a new XP CD. The one that you used to re-install XP has already been installed on another computer (liscense key will be valid on that computer only) you have tried to install using the key that was on the side of the laptop which doesn't match the CD that you are using...That will not legally work...

I could be wrong but I could have sworn that people here have said that if you lost your copy of XP but still had the product key for it, you could use any disk for the install as long as it was for the same version your valid product key was for. I took that to mean that the product key was not disk specific.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:10 PM

<<I could be wrong but I could have sworn that people here have said that if you lost your copy of XP but still had the product key for it, you could use any disk for the install as long as it was for the same version your valid product key was for.>>

That's true when talking about official XP install CDs sold by Microsoft to individual buyers either as MS OEM (now called system builder), upgrade, or retail XP install CDs.

<<I took that to mean that the product key was not disk specific.>>

Generally true when one is talking about purchased copies of Microsoft XP. The CD comes with a given key, but that CD can be used to repair or reinstall any same version (Home for Home, Pro for Pro) version of XP which has a key/license that did not come with that CD.

Example: I have about 10 licenses for XP, I use the same CD to install or repair any of them. Each of my licenses is either purchased as a Microsoft OEM XP Home license or a Microsoft retail XP Homelicense.

Not necessarily true when talking about XP CDs furnished by boxmakers such as Dell, Gateway, HP, etc., as I understand it. Those CDs fall under proprietary control measures enacted by the boxmakers...and one of those may include imbedding the license/key for that sold system.

That's (probably) why these CDs are often referred to as "recovery/restore" CDs, even though users call them "XP CDs."

Louis

#8 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:17 PM

Thank you Louis, I appreciate you clarifying that for me

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 05:48 PM

Easily done...confusion is the normal result of some of my attempts to clarify :thumbsup:.

Louis

Edited to make sense :flowers:.

Edited by hamluis, 08 March 2009 - 01:57 PM.

#10 sasquatch98226

sasquatch98226
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 11:06 PM

So does anyone have a website that they can point me to purchase the "restore" discs? I have scoured the HP site and other than seeming to get sent back to the same software driver support page from every page I tried, I can't seem to find a place to "order" them from. I have an A730N model PJ510AA. Thanks for the help again guys.

#11 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 11:44 PM

Try Here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...1078&os=228

#12 sasquatch98226

sasquatch98226
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:20 AM

Thanks Grumpy,

Unfortunately that is the page that just directs me back to the software and drivers page. I can't seem to find the "order" page they refer to. Looks like I need to call the support line. :thumbsup:

#13 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 01:49 AM

When I got my CD's from HP I did it through phone contact, this was a few years ago though. I don't recall seeing those CD's available online. I suspect you could also e-mail them from the support site. I have several products from HP and have always received good support and fast response including e-mail response. Lately I noticed that they have followed up with request for customer feedback each time I have gotten support. Last time it was free technical help for a digital camera that was five years old. Very nice indeed.

#14 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 06:29 AM

This is the part number for your recovery CD's...Don't know if you can order online or not...Either way you can give them a phone call and order them the Old Fashioned Way....

http://partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/main?...&submit.y=6

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users