Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware Protect 2009

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ldegreef

ldegreef

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:04 PM

I ran ComboFix.exe to erradicate Spyware Protect 2009. I think it is gone!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 05:00 PM

Hello.

Do you want us to check or something? What was the purpose of this topic?

Posted ImageCombofix Warning

ComboFix is an extremely powerful tool and you should not be using Combofix unless instructed to do so by a Malware Removal Expert. It is a powerful tool intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for private use. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer.
Further, ComboFix logs are not permitted outside the HijackThis forums and then only when requested by a HJT Team member.

Try running MBAM and see if it finds anything else.

Download and run MalwareBytes Anti-Malware(Full Scan)

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop if you lost your copy and need to install it, otherwise skip the installation step and continue with the Full Scan.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Full Scan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

For complete or visual instructions on installing and running Malwarebytes Anti-Malware please read this link

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#3 ldegreef

ldegreef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:46 AM

Thank you so much for your detailed instructions. I very much appreciate your help. Below is my MBAM log per your instructions. As far as I can tall all 5 infected items were removed.
Thanks again:
MBAM log below -----------------
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.34
Database version: 1826
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

3/8/2009 7:42:39 AM
mbam-log-2009-03-08 (07-42-39).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 245275
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 20 minute(s), 8 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 2
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\WinProtector (Rogue.WinProtector) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\system tool (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit (Trojan.Agent) -> Data: c:\windows\system32\userinit.exe -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit (Trojan.Agent) -> Data: system32\userinit.exe -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\Qoobox\Quarantine\C\WINDOWS\system32\iehelper.dll.vir (Trojan.Dropper) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

#4 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 11:11 AM

Hello.

That doesn't look good. Combofix may have removed most of the infections but there probably might have been a few that weren't removed.

What I'm worried about is this:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit (Trojan.Agent) -> Data: c:\windows\system32\userinit.exe

Please Update MBAM and run a Full Scan this time. Post the results once it's finished please.

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#5 ldegreef

ldegreef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:10 PM

Thanks again. I really appreciate all your help! I ran a full scan as you suggested, removed two items, and the log is below.

Thanks!!

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.34
Database version: 1828
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

3/9/2009 6:06:09 PM
mbam-log-2009-03-09 (18-06-08).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 245947
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 19 minute(s), 58 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 2
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit (Trojan.Agent) -> Data: c:\windows\system32\userinit.exe -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit (Trojan.Agent) -> Data: system32\userinit.exe -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#6 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:36 PM

Hello.

Seems that same file and key is being quarantined. They probably come back because the one in your dllcache may also be infected. I'm just curious to see what infection this one is..

Please do the following. You might want to start another topic in the HJT-Malware Removal forum afterwards.

Submit File to Online Scanner

There is a file that I would like you to check out for me using VirusTotal/VirSCAN
  • Open VirusTotal Online Scanner or VirSCAN. If one site is busy or down, try the other
  • At the top of the page you'll see a box. Copy and Paste in the following line(s)
  • C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe
  • Click Submit.
  • Wait for the scan to finish.
  • Copy Scanner Results into your next reply.
If there was a problem, just let me know. :thumbsup:

Now run Systemlook up, I just want to see the locations of all userinit.exe. They are probably all infected otherwise they should of been replaced. Curious to see what they are. Q: Do you have your OS disk still?

Download and Run SystemLook

Please download SystemLook from one of the links below and save it to your Desktop.
Download Mirror #1
Download Mirror #2
  • Double-click SystemLook.exe to run it.
  • A blank Windows shall open with the title "SystemLook v1.0-by Jpshortstuff".
  • Copy and Paste the content of the following codebox into the main textfield under "File":
    :file
    C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe
    :filefind 
    userinit.exe
  • Please Confirm everything is copied and Pasted as I have provided above
  • Click the Look button to start the scan.
  • When finished, a notepad window will open with the results of the scan.
  • Please post this log in your next reply.
Note: The log can also be found on your Desktop entitled SystemLook.txt
2nd Note: The scan may take a while from several seconds to a minute or more depending on the number of files you have and how fast your computer can perform the task

Post back with both logs.

I need to leave tomorrow so, I'll just let you know where the HJT-Malware removal forum is and how to go about doing it, just in case I forget or I leave..

Preparation Guide: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
HJT-Malware Removal forum: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/
What to do when you have no reply for 5 days: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176012/post-in-this-thread-when-you-havent-received-an-answer-in-five-days/

Good Luck!

With Regards,
Extremeboy

Edited by extremeboy, 09 March 2009 - 07:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users