Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

open office . org

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 rita90

rita90

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 01:56 PM

I do not have "word" on my computer and have been told I can dowload "openoffice.org" free.
Anyone know anything about this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FiOS Dan

FiOS Dan

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:08 PM

OpenOffice is a well-respected suite of freeware programs. You can use them without reservations.
Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway.

#3 rita90

rita90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:14 PM

OpenOffice is a well-respected suite of freeware programs. You can use them without reservations.

Thank you

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 03:45 PM

If you select the Custom option, you do not have to install the applications that you don't need or want
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:32 PM

OO.o is very similar to MS Office in both functionality and look/feel, and in addition includes a database. There is adequate on-line documentation if you need it, as well as forum help. Compatibility issues with Office are very rare, and you can save a document in PDF with a point of your mouse.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 rita90

rita90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:55 AM

Thanks. Much appreciated

#7 txtchr

txtchr

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:16 PM

OO.o is very similar to MS Office in both functionality and look/feel, and in addition includes a database. There is adequate on-line documentation if you need it, as well as forum help. Compatibility issues with Office are very rare, and you can save a document in PDF with a point of your mouse.
Cheers,
John

John,

I've read a lot about OpenOffice, but just recently have truly become interested in it (as I'm going to purchase a netbook soon -- no optical drive, so installing software that comes on a CD/DVD is difficult). OpenOffice seems to fit the bill, since I really don't need to do much on this netbook other than internet access and basic word processing.

Questions: files can be saved to be opened in MS Word and Excel, correct (.doc and .xls)? And when you mention the PDF conversion, does this mean that it has capabilities to convert only OpenOffice documents to PDFs or is this feature similar to the Acrobat distiller that can convert ANY file to a PDF that is viewable on your screen (for instance, an on-line receipt that has a "print" option, so you choose the PDF printer instead of a hardware printer)?

I know that there are free PDF conversion programs out there, but I was wondering if this fits the bill in that aspect (would prevent downloading an unnecessary program).

Thanks --

Mary :thumbsup:

#8 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:52 PM

Open Office will export any document you have open to PDF. 1 click.
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/D...xporting_to_PDF

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#9 Konstantin

Konstantin

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 05:59 AM

Shame on me, but i still prefer Microsoft Office, even with all my love to free and open-source software.

I think this for two reasons - 1) I'm just got used to MS Office, 2) I have experienced problems with handling of large files in OpenOffice.

So, in that case, i'm stuck to MS :thumbsup:

#10 txtchr

txtchr

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:23 AM

Open Office will export any document you have open to PDF. 1 click.
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/D...xporting_to_PDF

Thanks for the info -- that's exactly what I needed to know.

#11 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:22 AM

And yes, you can save any OO.o file as the appropriate Office file extension, and OO.o will open any MS office file at least up to Word 2000 and XL. Compatibility with the latest version of MS Office is soon to come, but by convention, most conversions are made to the earlier versions, since acceptance of the latest version is far from universal.
You could also load a Word document into OO.o Writer and then save it as a .pdf file if you are so inclined.

For casual use, OO.o should present absolutely no compatibility problems.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#12 alpad

alpad

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:37 PM

Interesting enough ... I put OO 2.4 on my computer last fall and all was well, THEN I got into the idea of the upgrade... 3.1 .

Well, I've had a horrible time with it!!!!!!! I finally got it to download, but it won't install for nothing ... I've shut the firewall off, used CCleaner and done all the system maintenance. I created an account on their forums to try to get help, but their recovery of lost passwords process requires more info than I have and when I try to create a new account, the validation code doesn't load; so I am locked out... can't get any ideas for what to try!

ANY SUGGESTIONS, please?

Thanks so much!
Allie

#13 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:44 PM

Did you uninstall 2.4 first?
Are you installing from an Admin account?
Are there any error messages?
What operating system are you using?

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users