Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java Applet browser problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 shawnvw

shawnvw

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 08 June 2005 - 01:03 AM

I visited both of these Java test websites with both of my browsers, IE 6 and Firefox 1.0.4.

http://www.javatester.org/
http://www.bodo.com/javame.htm

Both tell me the same thing: that both of my browsers can run JavaScript, but that neither can run Java applets. And as far as I can tell, both browsers are configured to do so -- that is, the settings in the Preferences dialogs are set to use it, but Java applets just aren't running.

I believe I'm using Java 1.4.2.

How can I fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 08 June 2005 - 05:26 AM

Well in Firefox 1.0.3 the settings are under Tools>Options>Web Features where there is an Enable Java and Enable JavaScript tick box. But I get the feeling you already know that?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 shawnvw

shawnvw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 09 June 2005 - 01:45 AM

Yes, that's what I meant when I said I had it configured. Sorry if I wasn't clear. Those boxes are both checked, and I'm still having the problem.

I also upgraded to the newest version of Java.

Finally, sent Sun an e-mail, now I'm waiting.

---UPDATE ---

Meanwhile, I learned about this thread:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,9731291

To summarize, the upshot is that this other guy was able to fix the same problem by reinstalling MSVJM and having it in the background, despite the fact that Sun Java is supposed to be used as a replacement. If I am to try this, I need someone to answer a few questions:

1) Where can I download MSVJM?

2) The other guy was using Win98, and I'm using WinXP SP2. Would that make a difference? Did my computer really have MSVJM at some point?

Thanks.

Edited by shawnvw, 09 June 2005 - 12:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users