Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting a Linksys Wireless-N to a webstar modem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Richard Michael

Richard Michael

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 12:02 PM

I wonder if someone could help me please. Firstly my knowledge of computers is rock bottom. I have a desktop computer connected to broadband via a webstar cable modem. All the connections work absolutely fine. So that I could run a wireless system at home with a couple of laptops I bought a Linksys Wireless-N router Model WAG160N after doing quite a lot of internet research to find a good one. The problem is that the connection at the back of the modem is an erthernet connection and the connection at the back of the router is DSL. Should I be able to buy an adaptor for ethernet to DSL?

Thank you.

Richard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 01:43 PM

I bought a Linksys Wireless-N router Model WAG160N after doing quite a lot of internet research to find a good one. The problem is that the connection at the back of the modem is an erthernet connection and the connection at the back of the router is DSL.

Seems like you would have caught that during your research. I have not seen an adapter for that situation. Plenty of adapters for ethernet to USB to hook up a computer with USB to an ethernet port, but they require software install, the adapter doesn't actually do the conversion. IMHO, see if your cable company offers a real modem with ethernet. Cable modems are easy to swap. Even if you did find an adapter, your throughput would be hobbled by the USB.

Edited by dpunisher, 07 March 2009 - 01:44 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users