Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer will not go into Sleep mode or Hibernate

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mad Piper

Mad Piper

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:53 AM

Hello,

My new pc will not enter sleep mode, nor will it hibernate. I have already went into the device manager and unchecked anything that would wake the computer up, including the usb ports. The computer store that custom built if for me can't fine the problem and told me to, "just fiddle with it"

I rarely surf the net with it so I'm sure there are no viruses, and this problem occurred right out of the box.

When i attempt to enter sleep mode, the screen goes blank, monitor shuts down and then the computer starts to run real hard. Then everything comes back on in seconds.

My specs:
Asus mobo
WD 250 GB HDD
2GB Corsair RAM
Nvidia GeForce 9600 gt GPU
intel dual core e5200 CPU
Asus optical drive
logitec keyboard, labtec mouse both wired to front usb ports

Please help my comuter is basically always running and that can't be good

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:30 AM

What happens in Hibernate? The same thing?

I think you might have *PROCESSES* that don't allow it to sleep. You might also not have the necessary system files either. Do you keep anything up or running when you attempt to sleep it?
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#3 Mad Piper

Mad Piper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 11:56 PM

Thanks for getting back Swordie,

No i don't keep anything running (that I know of)

This is an out of the box problem. I do have the avg free virus program that always seems to be running. and yes, hibernate does the same exact thing.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
L

#4 Cuessane

Cuessane

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:36 AM

Had some problems with this a while back, this site helped me to figure out the various causes and settings so that I could get it to work.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63567-po...e-problems.html

Don't know if it will help you, but figured I would share what I could.

The fourth option may be helpful if nothing else.

NOTE
This will give you a list of items that woke up the computer last that may help narrow down what is waking up the computer.

1. Open the Start Menu.
2. In white line (Start Search) area, type cmd and press Enter.
3. In command prompt, type powercfg lastwake and press Enter. (See screenshot below)
NOTE: Notice that I had USB\ROOT\HUB listed. For me, this would be the USB wireless mouse. Your list results will vary of course.

Also, some have suggested that Away Mode interferes with Hibernate/Sleep mode. I saved a command I found in a text file for myself in case it became necessary:

to turn ON away mode permanently, run a cmd prompt and type:

powercfg -setacvalueindex SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_SLEEP 25dfa149-5dd1-4736-b5ab-e8a37b5b8187 1

powercfg -setactive SCHEME_CURRENT

To turn it OFF permanently:
powercfg -setacvalueindex SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_SLEEP 25dfa149-5dd1-4736-b5ab-e8a37b5b8187 0

powercfg -setactive SCHEME_CURRENT

DO NOT USE THESE SETTINGS if you are happy with the mode you currently have!!

The poster who gave these commands, suggested NOT using them unless everything else had failed. I never had to use them, so I couldn't begin to tell you whether it would fix the problem or not.

Edited by Cuessane, 09 March 2009 - 01:02 AM.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:47 PM

The most common problem with standby/hibernate is a minor corruption in the video drivers.
To remedy this, download the latest version of the drivers from the manufacturer of the video chipset on your system (ATI, nVidia, Intel, etc)
Then uninstall the current drivers using the Control Panel...Programs and Features applet.
Reboot (dismissing any Found New Hardware diaglogs)
Then install the freshly downloaded video drivers.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users