Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

disk partitions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pochp

pochp

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 05:25 AM

My disk C has a free space of 4.6 gb while my disk D has 14 gb.
Would my pc crash if my disk C get overloaded? XP has no task manager.
Can I start using my disk D instead?
pochp.wordpress.com
Plato on-line

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 06:30 AM

C is probably your Operating System.

D is not a start up drive.

It should be okay, but I would highly recommend that you update your disk drive to at least 40 GB.

You can always backup your data on to a backup drive online...then buy the new drive--do the install--and install the operating system and transfer the backup data on to your new drive!

#3 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 06:57 AM

FWIW, If you are talking about one drive with partitions labeled C and D there should not be any problem with using the D partition for storage and or applications if the C partition is almost full. The bigger question for me is why do you NOT have a task manager? Do you mean that if you CTRL+ALT+DEL the task manager doesn't open? If the task manager will not open then you may have a malware issue and you may need more expert help in resolving that issue...

If you are talking about two hard drives labeled C and D then the suggestion that Jay-P VIP provided may be the answer for you. I would investigate the task manager issue though...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#4 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:03 AM

Hi pochp,
I am not sure if you mean that you have two physical drives or one physical drive with two logical drives, C and D. It is very common to have one physical drive with two logical drives C and D with C having the operating system and D used to recover the entire operating system and other software as installed by the computer manufacture when new. Normally D would not have 14 Gb free space when used as a recovery partition. I saw that you inquired about partitioning a hard drive. Did you create these partitions?

Windows XP does have a Task Manager but it does not show information on hard drive space. If you do not have one it could indicate that you have become infected as it is very common for malware to disable Task Manager.

Trying using Windows Explorer to view the information on your drives. Right click on the drive, select "Properities" and it will show drive capacity, used space and free space. From this same window you can also click the button "Disk Cleanup" to clear the drive's of accumulated garbage. See if this helps.

Edit: Grump posted before I sent my post.

Edited by Justa, 07 March 2009 - 07:09 AM.

#5 pochp

pochp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:25 AM

My sister gave me this laptop and the partition was already there. I already did your suggestion here regularly:

Trying using Windows Explorer to view the information on your drives. Right click on the drive, select "Properities" and it will show drive capacity, used space and free space. From this same window you can also click the button "Disk Cleanup" to clear the drive's of accumulated garbage. See if this helps.

What I really want to know is if my cpu is safe from crashing when drive C gets overloaded. Or how could I prevent that. Thanks Justa
pochp.wordpress.com
Plato on-line

#6 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:43 AM

Your PC will not necessarily crash as the system/boot partition fills up, but it will act up. You may receive warnings about low virtual memory and will not be able to defrag it properly with less than 15% free space.

See your partitions: Control panel>admin tools>computer management>disk management

Browse D:\ and see if it contains data or a hidden recovery partition. If it does, you may want to save data to DVD or another media.

#7 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:52 AM

I guess the answer to your question about your C partition being almost full should NOT cause your CPU or computer to crash. If you are experiencing these types of problems then you may have something else going on here. If you are concerned about your C partition being too full try moving applications that you don't use frequently, Music files, Pictures, Video Files and games to your other partition to free up space on your C partition. You can easily move these things from one partition to another and it will not have an effect on your computer's functionality, in fact it may even improve performance. Move these files then defragment both partitions and you should be good to go.

You haven't responded to my earlier question about the Task Manager...Is it working or not?
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users