Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nothing seems to be working...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sparrow94

sparrow94

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:17 AM

i have an acer aspire 5610Z laptop ( :flowers: ) (was xp pro, is now home) and the new problem is this...
a few months ago, avast antivirus seemed to have deleted the system32 file that the computer needed to boot,
so... after a while, i thought i would put in the xp home disk in and see if i could repair the system.
so... i clicked on repair, and entered my administrator password...which of course was incorrect...( :thumbsup: ) even though it was the right one,
anyway... i decided i would completly re-install xp, so, i created a new hard-drive partition, as not to destroy all of my files...
xp installs, i log on 4 hours later, to find that it had formatted everything..except the program files... but none of the programs were showing in the add/remove programs tool, no matter how many times i used them.. i eventually thought it was better to format the old hard-drive partition, and use the new one..
after i had done this, i realised i had had no sound since i re-installed xp. i tryed putting a dvd in...windows media player video card controller error...cd? sound card controller error...games? a handful of different errors, all display related..

please can someone help, as i really can't think of what to do

thanks
sparrow

(i have all updates installed)
:trumpet:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:50 AM

Did you install the drivers?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 sparrow94

sparrow94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 05:48 AM

i don't know...and if i didn't...i don't know how to install them...

#4 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:54 AM

Hi sparrow94

Follow this link to view and download drivers for your laptop. http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/notebook/as_5610z.html

From what you say you will need to load the Audio drivers. Usually when you download drivers from the manufacturer's website they come as a self extracting package or exe file which makes the install process simple.
Before you vistit the site, check Settings> Control Panel> System and click on the Hardware Manager tab to see if you have problems with any other device. If you do then you will need to download drivers for these devices as well.
Steve

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:14 AM

Thanks Slix, I've been so busy with a search that I hadn't had time to get back to this one. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 sparrow94

sparrow94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 12:16 PM

thanks, am trying now...also forgot to list other things that arn't working ;

ethernet = X
SD slot = X
Disk Tray = X (i am using the over-ride switch)

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:32 AM

sounds like a driver issue to me except for maybe the disk tray, try going to the above mentioned link and downloading them all and make sure their the latest.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#8 sparrow94

sparrow94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:56 AM

i can't seem 2 get the sound working...

#9 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 11:47 AM

What do you see when you look at Sound, video and game controllers in Device/Hardware Manager?
Steve

#10 sparrow94

sparrow94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:23 AM

Sound and video working fine, i am downloading a dvd de-coder now so dvds should work soon,
still can't seem to get the ethernet socket working though. also the sd slot won't work

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users