Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New PC (re)build - POST hangs at "Verifying DMI pool data"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stargazerDG

stargazerDG

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 10:37 PM

Hi everyone,

I just intro'd on the Introductions forum. I haven't had a lot of luck with my problem(s) on other forum sites, so here goes.

I wasn't sure on which forum this belonged, since I'm not sure if my problems are hardware- or software-related, or both. I'll outline my issue(s) in a point-by-point format, while trying to remain brief.

- Recently upgraded CPU from an AMD Athlon 64x2 5000+ BE processor to an AMD Phenom II 940 Deneb quad core CPU. The CPU, rated at 3.0 GHz, insisted on running at 2.2 GHz at default BIOS settings. Any attempts at bumping it up just to its nominal speed rating resulted in lockups. The system did NOT freeze during use, but refused to boot up again after Restart or Shutdown.

- Updated the BIOS with the latest Rev. on the Gigabyte website. No change noted with existing problem(s).

- Suspicions ranged from a "lemon" CPU, to faulty RAM, to dying video card, to a PSU circling the drain.

- Yesterday, I exchanged the CPU for an identical, new one, and also got an HIS/ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB video card. I installed them both.

- Now when I boot up, the system doesn't even finish POSTing . . . the POST hangs at "Verifying DMI pool data."

Am I again facing a questionable CPU? Or, perhaps I should have not put in the new video card while trying to isolate the problem(s) by elimination? (I may just change back to my previous video card and try booting). I just replaced my G.Skill RAM with new OCZ RAM, so I don't see that as a problem.

Also, do I need to do a reinstall of Windows XP? Would that possibly get rid of the POST-hanging problem?

Ideas, anyone? Thank you in advance!

- Dave G.

Edited by stargazerDG, 06 March 2009 - 10:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 11:08 PM

Read here,

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000474.htm

The first thing I'd try is removing the video card since that seems to be the most likely culpret.

Also, On your CPU running slow,
Did you try changing the speed by setting the frony bus manually in the BIOS ?

What make/model is the motherboard ?
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 stargazerDG

stargazerDG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 11:18 PM

Hi fairjoeblue -- thanks for the reply.

Yes, as I indicated, trying to speed up the CPU manually results in lockups -- the system does NOT freeze while still in use, but it DOES refuse to boot up again after a Restart or Shutdown. It will not start up again until I go into BIOS and "slow down" the CPU back to 2.2 GHz.

The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-MA790X-DS4, with a recent BIOS flash update to the latest version available on the Gigabyte website.

I'll try swapping the video card back to the previous one I was using, and then report back with the results.

- Dave G.

Edited by stargazerDG, 06 March 2009 - 11:19 PM.

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 01:08 AM

I admit I'm not real familure with AMD CPU's so I have the manual for your motherboard on another page.

My first suggestion is since you installed a new CPU & it apparently doesn't register in the BIOS correctly you might try clearing the CMOS.
There are 2 pins near the battery for that purpse.
Turn it off. inplug it, press the on button to discharge any stored electricity, put a jumper on the 2 pins for about a minute & then remove it [the manual shows defalt as no jumper] .
Restart the computer
You will have to set the date/time in the bios, then load the fail safe defaults & see if the CPU is running right.

If it's not go back in the BIOS
In the MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.) section,
Set the CPU clock ratio to 15
Set the Host clock control to 200
Exit the BIOS saving the changes.

If that doesn't do it I'm out of suggestions.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users