Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

death loop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 meganeeder

meganeeder

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 10:22 PM

Hello,
I have searched for this topic with no sucess.

My CPU will not boot. I have some information I need to retrieve before I format and reistall windows xp. I removed my hard drive and tried to slave it into another CPU to copy the info. when I did this the other CPU is now using the bad drive to attempt a boot. I have tried to slave the bad one in and had no luck.

My question- is how can I use a different CPU to boot from a working drive so I can then read the information and copy it.

History- the drive was working fine untill my fan fell off my graphic card and destroyed my card. I haven't been able to boot since. I removed the card but still get information on the screen.

Thank everyone that replies-

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 01:12 AM

If the drive you are trying to slave in another computer is a IDE [uses the wide ribbon cable] did you set the jumper on the back to Slave or Cable Select ?
If not it is still set to master & that's why the computer is trying to boot from it.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 meganeeder

meganeeder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:09 AM

The compter didn't have the wide ribbon to its drive it used the small one. I disconnected the CD to get a slot for my drive. The drive on other computer didnt have a slave/master jumper, it had a 1GBxs and a 3GBxs or something like that.

I did have my drive set to slave, the CPU still tried to boot from it so I set it to pm2- same problem.

I just need to be able to access the information. I tried the windows CD and kept getting to the format point.

Can the information be retrieved. I would rather do it my self then the over priced geek Sq

Thanks again

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 11:44 AM

What you are describing is a SATA hdd, the 1.5Gb/s and 3.0Gb/s are transfer speeds, and the jumper set those speed. Some early motherboards using SATA hdds could only support the 1.5Gb/s transfer rate and the newer ones can support the 3.0Gb/s, this is what the jumper is for.

Just for clarification a CPU is the Central Processing Unit, I believe what you are looking for is a PC, Personal Computer.

Did you have a SATA hdd installed on this computer before this?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 meganeeder

meganeeder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 05:14 PM

Thank you-...
yes the pc that has a sata has always had it but the drive that wont start is not.

my question still remains...how can I get this drive to read on a good working pc.

each time I attempt to slave it in it trys to boot rather then standby.

#6 meganeeder

meganeeder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:35 PM

:thumbsup: still hoping for some help!!!!!

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 03:39 PM

A drive can only boot...if you have it set as a valid boot option and no other options precede it or are functional.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users