Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Fried, Now the Build ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rollbar

Rollbar

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:16 PM

OK, my MB wont' seem to do anything after 5yrs. My HD is good (40gig) EIDE which I would like to incorporate into the new system as a separate drive. Would like to upgrade from XP but love XP. All I really need is a tower and trying to stay around $250.00. Old PC=HP pavilion A705W. I don't game w/it, mainly business, e-mail, surfing and storage. Would like it fast and a bigger HD. Have keyboard, monitor etc.

Go HERE to read about what happened and pic of PC.

Any thoughts would be nice to consider.

Also, I don't know if this has anything to do w/the HD but my ISP service is 6.0 and w/the XP I had before it fried I could only get 1.5 to 3.5 max but at the modem and on my L-top I could get full service on the band of 6.0 from the same server. Yes, I have Super AdBlocker, Super Anti Spyware and the malware, kept it defragged and the start up was at a minimum. I could never figure out why but one day the kids stepped in. Anyway, would this bottle neck be on the HD or on the MB. Would it be safe to put the old HD in a newer PC in light of the statement above?

Thanks,

Edited by Rollbar, 06 March 2009 - 09:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 12:28 AM

What kind of new computer are you going to get ?

It's hard to give good answers if we don't know what you're working with.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Rollbar

Rollbar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:17 AM

Not sure, that's why I'm asking. Don't know if I should build one from Tiger Direct or just go to Best Buy for what I use them for. Will use my old HD as a slave or .... & that's about all I can use from the PC & of course I will use my keyboard/monitor/ printer etc. I know I want a Duel Core and at least 4gig capability w/a 250 or 500 HD but i really don't want to spend over 300 ucks cause I'm waiting on Obama's bail out $ to hit my door. :thumbsup:

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 01:15 PM

Since I'm "flying blind" I'll give the best answer to your question I can.

Your old hard drive is IDE .
Most any new computer you buy should have a SATA hard drive.
Many motherboard manufacturers are only putting 1 IDE connector on the motherboard.
That is usually used for the CD drive [if it is used]
That presents a small problem !
In order to hook up your old hard drive it would have to be hooked up on the cable with the CD drive as a Slave.
The problem is the CD drive is at the top of the case & there is no good place to mount a hard drive in the top of the case.
You could get a bracket that goes in a CD drive bay & allows a hard drive to be mounted .

My personal opinion is there is a much simpler solution.
Since large hard drives have become common any computer you buy should have a HD with much more capacity then your old 40GB .
I would leave the old HD set to Master
Temporarily disconnect the CD drive & hook the connectors to the old HD
I would then start the computer & transfer my personal folders/files from the old drive to My Documents on the new drive.
When I had all transfered I'd turn the computer off, remove the 40GB HD , hook the CD drive bck up, & leave the 40GB IDE drive out.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 03:57 PM

My personal opinion is there is a much simpler solution.

But the motherboard is shot and needs replaced

Will use my old HD as a slave

The only problem if you are going to build a new one is you will have to buy XP again
Transferring the OS to a new hard drive is a gamble
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 Rollbar

Rollbar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:07 PM

Thank you for the link.

Jim

#7 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:34 PM

"But the motherboard is shot and needs replaced"

In my last post,

"My personal opinion is there is a much simpler solution.
Since large hard drives have become common any computer you buy should have a HD with much more capacity then your old 40GB .
I would leave the old HD set to Master
Temporarily disconnect the CD drive & hook the connectors to the old HD
I would then start the computer & transfer my personal folders/files from the old drive to My Documents on the new drive.
When I had all transfered I'd turn the computer off, remove the 40GB HD , hook the CD drive bck up, & leave the 40GB IDE drive out."

I was assuming the OP would be working with a new computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users