Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG Free 8.0 Installation Issues

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 zeero3

zeero3

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:33 PM

Downloaded the AVG update (as I try to keep all anti-everything updated). Went to install and I continuously get this error:

Local machine: installation failed
Installation:
Error: Action failed for registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows: creating registry key....
Error 0x80070005

I thought I had things installed that were preventing registry changes, so I went to disable them.

I uninstalled Ad-Aware, this did not work (will keep adaware uninstalled anyway....)
I deactivated Spybot's realtime things, restarted computer and this did not work.
I uninstalled Spybot, restarted and this did not work.
I kept Spybot off computer, and deactivated Comodo Firewall, this did not work.

So I ran "regedit" just to look at this little registry key that seems to be causing all the problems.
When I click on other registry folders, I see the keys on the right.
However, when I click on the registry key that is alerted above I get this:
"Cannot open Windows: error while opening key"

So I also downloaded and ran "avgremover" and tried again to no success.

Is this a common problem for others (searched and I see similar yet very different problems)?
Does anyone have advice for this problem?
Any recommendations?

If not I guess the obvious route would be to run "avgremover" one last time and go with a different anti-virus program.

Thank you in advance guys, I love the forum...
Nick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:12 PM

Hello.

However, when I click on the registry key that is alerted above I get this:
"Cannot open Windows: error while opening key"

That seems like a restriction is in effect.. :thumbsup:

Let's see if we can remove it if it is indeed a restriction. :flowers:

Backup Registry with ERUNT

This tool will create a complete backup of your registry. A backup is created to ensure we have backup so encase anything goes wrong we can deal with it. Do not delete these backups until we are finished.
  • Please download erunt-setup.exe to your desktop.
  • Double click erunt-setup.exe. Follow the prompts and allow ERUNT to be installed with the settings at default. If you do not want a Desktop icon, feel free to uncheck that. When asked if you want to create an ERUNT entry in the startup folder, answer Yes. You can delete the installation file after use.
  • Erunt will open when the installation is finished. Check all items to be backed up in the default location and click OK.
You can find a complete guide to using the program here:
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/erunt.txt

Download and Run Script with Swreg.exe
  • Please download SWREG.exe, and save it to your C:\Windows Directory please.
In case you are using Firefox and it get's saved directly onto your desktop do the following:
  • Please copy and paste Swreg.exe to your C:\Windows directory.
  • After you have pasted Swreg.exe into your C:\Windows directory you may delete the other copy on you desktop
  • We need to execute a Batch File now
  • Copy the following into a notepad (Start>Run>"notepad"). Do not copy the Code.
    swreg ACL HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows /OA
    swreg ACL HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows /P /GE:F

Reg Export HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows C:\export.txt
    Notepad export
  • Click File, then Save As... .
  • Click Desktop on the left.
  • Under the Save as type dropdown, select All Files.
  • In the box File Name, input Remove.bat.
  • Hit OK.
When done properly, the icon should look like Posted Image for the .bat file.

Double click on Remove.bat to run it. You may get a security warning, please select Run. A black window will open and then disappear this is normal. Then Notepad will open, post the contents of notepad in your next reply.

Reboot your computer now

Try installing AVG again and see if it works now. Let me know how it goes :trumpet:

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#3 zeero3

zeero3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:10 PM

Thank you for your help extremeboy.

I downloaded and installed ERUNT successfully.
I downloaded swreg.exe to the proper directory.

I copied the following into a notepad file I later saved as "remove.bat" on the desktop:

----
swreg ACL HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows /OA
swreg ACL HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows /P /GE:F

Reg Export HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows C:\export.txt
Notepad export
----

I ran the batch file and the black screen popped up; however, the export.txt file that opened was empty.

The following things appeared in the cmd screen (results of commands)

Ownerchange for "...\Microsoft\Windows" to Administrators group was successful.
Registrykey: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows"
Granting Registry rights (F access for This Key) for "Everyone"
Error: Invalid command-line parameters
This error appears directly after the following command:
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop>Reg Export HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows C:\export.txt

I then restarted the computer and tried to install avg again. This did not work.
I also checked regedit again and got the same original error: "Cannot open Windows: error while opening key"

#4 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:11 PM

Hello again.

One more thing that might help you.

Try what I said above as it's most likely a permission problem I think, as that key is usually accessible unless something happened to it. You said you got the following message "Action failed" so that was why I thought it was permission. Try what I said above and let me know if it works.

If not, download, extract and run the batch file. :thumbsup:

http://www.grisoft.it/download/tools/set_permissions.zip

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#5 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:13 PM

Hello.

EDIT: don't worry about that error, I made a minor mistake on that batch file. I will change it afterwards if the other batch file doesn't work as I mentioned in my previou post on download that .zip file.

Our posts crossed. Try download that .zip folder, extract it and run the batch file.

Restart your computer afterwards and see if AVG will install.

With Regards,
Extremeboy

Edited by extremeboy, 08 March 2009 - 12:15 PM.

#6 zeero3

zeero3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:36 PM

No luck sir.

I'm still getting the same error when trying to install AVG.

Furthermore, I get the same error when trying to look at the same registry key using "regedit".

Any further assistance would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks again,
Nick

#7 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:02 PM

Hello.

Let's try this again..

using regedit, navigate to the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows <- This key.
Right-click and select Permissions, then click Advanced.
The first two entries should start with "Deny" pertaining to the "Everyone" group.
Highlight the first entry and click Remove. Now remove the other "Deny" entry.
Close the registry editor and try your installation again.
  • Copy the following into a notepad (Start>Run>"notepad"). Do not copy the Code.
    swreg ACL "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows" /OA
    swreg ACL "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows"  /P /GE:F
    Reg Export "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows" "C:\export.txt"
    Shutdown -r
  • In the box File Name, input Remove2.bat.
  • Hit OK.

Double click on Remove2.bat to run it. You may get a security warning, please select Run. A black window will open and then disappear this is normal. Then your computer will restart. Let it restart, this is normal.

After the reboot navigate to your C:\ drive and look for a file called "export.txt". Post the contents of that log in your next reply.

If your file system is FAT32 converting it to NTFS worked for one of the user over here

Try installing AVG again and see if it works now. Let me know how it goes. Is this the latest version? AVG 8.5?

AVG said they are working on this bug and will provide a fix later on, from what I research.

Let me know how it goes.

With Regards,
Extremeboy

#8 zeero3

zeero3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:15 PM

Replying while executing instructions:

When I right clicked the key you instructed a popup came up:
"you do not have permission to view the current permission settings for windows, but you can make permission changes"
Clicked ok and proceeded on to remove the "deny" labels; however, there were none.
There were no permission entries under the "permissions" tab.
I'm assuming you expected to see something here??

For now I then closed the reg editor and went on to run the batch file above.
Will continue the thread as soon as the computer reboots....

#9 zeero3

zeero3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:22 PM

Here are the results of the export file you requested:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows]
"AppInit_DLLs"=" C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\guard32.dll"
"DeviceNotSelectedTimeout"="15"
"GDIProcessHandleQuota"=dword:00002710
"Spooler"="yes"
"swapdisk"=""
"TransmissionRetryTimeout"="90"
"USERProcessHandleQuota"=dword:00002710
"LoadAppInit_DLLs"=dword:00000001

Trying to install AVG right now.
It is AVG Free 8.0 Build 237 (2/11/2009)

#10 zeero3

zeero3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:28 PM

AVG has installed successfully.
You rule!!!

Anything of interest you found?

Is there a removal process to remove anything I've installed?
Also, is it wise/safe to delete the ERUNT program?

Again, you rule. :thumbsup:

Thankfully,
Nick

#11 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:37 PM

Thanks for the kind word. Glad I could help :thumbsup:

Anything of interest you found?

Not really.. lol. It didn't work the first time you ran it because a problem occured, not exactly sure why because it said it was successful. Anyways, probably some kind of error I made or you made on the script. Anyways, the second time it worked so that's all it matters right now.

Is there a removal process to remove anything I've installed? Also, is it wise/safe to delete the ERUNT program?

Erunt backs up your WHOLE registry. It's a program that can save you during an unbootable situation. My suggestion would be to remove after another week or more. If you want to keep it you might wish to backup your WHOLE registry ever month or more/less. It's very helpful IMO, and everyone should have one :flowers:

If you want to remove it, it can be easily remove via add/remove or programs and features depending on what OS you are using.

Glad I could help and good luck!

With Regards,
Extremeboy

#12 goreland

goreland

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:21 PM

hey! I was having the exact same problem as this, ive used your information and it worked great thanks so much for these posts. The only thing is now I can't access my task manager i keep getting this message:

- Task Manager has been disabled by you administrator

i've checked other forums as to how to sort this out but they all suggest going back into Start>Run>Regedit but when I try this I get the error message:

- Registry Editing has been disabled by you administrator

can you help me with this? Is this something to do with the above process? should i delete the export file and the remove2 file?

thanks in advance for your time.

#13 Tektonike

Tektonike

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 13 September 2009 - 01:25 AM

Hello.

Let's try this again..

using regedit, navigate to the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows <- This key.
Right-click and select Permissions, then click Advanced.
The first two entries should start with "Deny" pertaining to the "Everyone" group.
Highlight the first entry and click Remove. Now remove the other "Deny" entry.
Close the registry editor and try your installation again.

swreg ACL "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows" /OA
    swreg ACL "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows"  /P /GE:F
    Reg Export "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows" "C:\export.txt"
    Shutdown -r
  • In the box File Name, input Remove2.bat.
  • Hit OK.

Double click on Remove2.bat to run it. You may get a security warning, please select Run. A black window will open and then disappear this is normal. Then your computer will restart. Let it restart, this is normal.

After the reboot navigate to your C:\ drive and look for a file called "export.txt". Post the contents of that log in your next reply.

If your file system is FAT32 converting it to NTFS worked for one of the user over here

Try installing AVG again and see if it works now. Let me know how it goes. Is this the latest version? AVG 8.5?

AVG said they are working on this bug and will provide a fix later on, from what I research.

Let me know how it goes.

With Regards,
Extremeboy

Hello,
You really are good at this extremeboy. I had the same problem with avg antivirus 8.5 and followed the steps you provided and what can i say: it works perfectly . Thank you very much.

Edited by Tektonike, 13 September 2009 - 01:27 AM.

#14 quetzalito2k

quetzalito2k

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 09:19 AM

It has been a year since this posting but I was wondering if you had any updated instructions. I am using XP Pro and have tried the instructions above without any luck.

Thank you in advance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users