Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restart 'set up' loop winXP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Myrdda

Myrdda

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 07:18 PM

I reformatted and reinstalled windows XP Home. I finally got my internet working (obviously) by doing a repair - all fine and good. My first problem is: every time I restart my computer, I have to set monitor settings, and then I'm shown to the 'Welcome to Microsoft Windows' screen and I have to do the initial set up over and over again (entering profile name, etc. It's for the initial installation) I'm really really really tired of doing this. Really. It did this both before and after the repair; systems restore makes no difference. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 07:51 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

You say two contradictory things...you say that you reformatted...and then later you say that you did a repair install. Am I misunderstanding what you typed?

What did you use to reformat/reinstall?

Recovery partition...MS XP CD...restore/recovery disks furnished by system maker, etc.?

Did you delete all previous existing partitions and install anew...or did you install over an existing XP install because you wanted to save files?

System manufacturer and model, please?

Louis

#3 Myrdda

Myrdda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:00 PM

Okay - I have a cobbled together intel Duo (two of them? that's what it looks like). I had win xp upgraded over win 98. Two days ago I reformatted and reinstalled win xp. Today I repaired it with the original xp disk. I didn't do any partitioning - just installed with the MC XP CD, and then used the same to repair it. I wiped it clean the first time, didn't save any files.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:16 PM

Thanks for the info.

You say MC XP...do you mean Media Center Edition and, if so, 2002 or 2005 version?

I guess that I wasn't aware of a MS upgrade version of MCE that could be used to go from Win 98 to MCE.

I would run a disk diagnostic on the hard drive you installed XP on (available at the hard drive manufacturer's website). If the drive checks out OK, I would just do another clean install. If the drive has problems, I would just get another drive to install my O/S on.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users